Sign in to follow this  
funboxvr6

Whining Brakes?

Hi All, I’ve had a slight whine from my (presumably) brakes occasionally at very low speeds after driving for a while. This went away when the brakes were applied, the handbrake was lifted slightly or when at normal driving speed. I asked my mechanic mate to take a look at the brakes and he said that they’d be alright for a couple of thousand miles & should think about disks/pads then. I’ve not done anything like those miles since, in fact it’s not been in much use at all recently since clutch issues. This morning after approximately 1/2hr driving, the whine became noticeable at normal driving speeds. This coincided with it starting to rain. It was still occasional, but louder than usual and still went away when the brakes or handbrake were applied lightly. I stopped and had a quick check round but nothing looked untoward. Does anyone have any ideas what may be going on?

Thanks in advance

Had similar sound and tried checking numerous things:

- circular damper ring on the drive shaft could have come loose

- Pads overly worn (easy to check)

- warped discs

- seized caliper

- loose pad, as the top springs have snapped; or possibly just needing grease on rear of pad

- Doubtful items: wheel bearing; part of the pad/disc breaking away... etc.

Excluding the damper ring, I'd say it sound brake related, as seen as it goes away when you apply the brake. You mention the handbrake, so therefore maybe its the rear brakes.

If you do a search, or just look through the drivetrain section, you'll see lots of people talking about the REAR caliper upgrade, as the original is prone to sticking on. At the rear you could have a few things go wrong; could be the handbrake cable going (unlikely), caliper piston sticking, caliper carrier pins seized.

The pins in the carrier can be a common one as they will rust if the rubber boots have split (can happen if caliper done up carelessly - see other recent threads on how to fix).

HTH