Sign in to follow this  
Quiz

Faulty Cooling System

Ok let me start with some background on the car. I bought it 4 months ago and have had a load of cooling problems. The first was one of the oil cooler hoses. The easy one to get to. The next was the upper rad hose. After that i decided to buy all new hoses for the car. At first i only replaced the upper rad hose. Then the plastic goose neck on top of the rad broke. It was really weak and i may have overtightened the clamp. I replaced that and then blew the other oil cooler hose. The not so easy one to get to. After all that i parked the car and replaced all 8 hoses with a blue silicone hose that is supposed to be for racing applications. Might i say they look really good. With all the problems i had i figured the car had been setting for a long time. With this assumption i figured i would probably have probs when it got hot and i started useing the ac. So today was our first really good hot day so i tested my car. With the car at idle and the ac on high i got oil temp readings of 240 and coolant readings of over 230. The highest i have seen the oil temp is 246 and thats doing 80mph around 3700rpm on the interstate. The highest cooling temp (other than when i was blowing hoses) has been around the mark below 230. I didnt get any warning lights and the fans seem to be working properly. This just seems really hot for the car to be running ecspecially at idle. Im sorry for the long post but i want you to have all the info that might relate to this prob. The temp here today was around 80 and the car is a black 92 VR6 OBD1. I dont think this is normal and i could really use some input before it starts to get really hot here. Thanks.

Slap a low temp thermostat in there ;-) you will notice the difference!

(Not a VW one as they dont work!!)

Also make sure you have the correct VW coolent G12+

So i have to use a specific coolant? Regular antifreeze wont work? And what temp is the low temp t-stat and where should i get it?