Sign in to follow this  
pkripper

Eibach rear ARB fouling exhaust

Having the above fitted today and just spoke to a guy at the garage who says that they are unable to fit the rear ARB because it is fouling the exhaust. I have a Miltek, anyone have any experience of this or an opinion of what to say when I phone the guy back. Is there any point in fitting the front one without the rear?

Cheers

Matt

Take the rear box off and press an indent into it where the Eibach mounting bolt is catching it. Having said that, have they actually driven it yet to see if it's knocking?

The exhaust does not catch the Eibach bar anywhere else, it's just the mounting bolts (bottom damper support bolt).

You need to be under the car to see what I mean but this is VERY common with aftermarket exhausts. The back boxes are usually always wider than the stock ones, which is why I stick to Supersprint..... they keep the dimensions the same and replicate the over axle pipe exactly as per stock.

Take the rear box off and press an indent into it where the Eibach mounting bolt is catching it. Having said that, have they actually driven it yet to see if it's knocking?

The exhaust does not catch the Eibach bar anywhere else, it's just the mounting bolts (bottom damper support bolt).

You need to be under the car to see what I mean but this is VERY common with aftermarket exhausts. The back boxes are usually always wider than the stock ones, which is why I stick to Supersprint..... they keep the dimensions the same and replicate the over axle pipe exactly as per stock.

Thanks for the quick response:

So what you are saying is dent the backbox where the mount is catching, if it is actually catching on the move? But overall he should be able to get the ARB on with the Miltek?

Yep, Eibach goes on fine with the Milltek unless there's something unique about your car.

I used to have a Milltek on my VR6 with the Eibach ARB, so I know it goes on fine ;-)

The Milltek backbox is a little wider than the OE back box and when the car is dropped back down onto it's suspension, you will notice that the bolt securing the ARB to the damper is VERY close to, or actually touching, the back box and it's there that you need to knock in an indent. You won't damage the internals of the exhaust.

Mechanics don't usually notice this until they drive it as there's plenty of clearance on the ramp with the axle hanging right down.....so hats off to your mechanic for noticing it straight away.....