Sign in to follow this  
nickeboy

black smoke vr6

my 93 vr6 burns a fair bit of oil about 1 litre every 500 miles, just recently i have noticed black smoke if i rev it hard, a little bit of a back fire some times, and 3 of the six plugs oily after 5oo mile, i have just taken to cleaning them,

my questions are this, is it def bottom end?

how much to replave just bottom end?

how much for a rebuld/replacement

i did a 16 valve convertion in a mk 1 golf, it was pretty straight forward, is a 20v converstion better, i want it to run properly no messing around because it is a convertion, and how much?

lastly how long do you think i can get away with, now theres a bit of black smoke, i dont use it that much,

would a new set of plugs and a oil cange help a bit as the plugs have had a rough ride recently.

many thanks

nick

mine too is burning roughly the same amount of oil, no black/blue smoke though, which is odd. (and no leaks). Could possible be the valve stem seals, could it not?

New plugs will help.... for a while. Until they too have to be replaced. I was advised on here to use thicker oil to help lower the consumption of oil. Sorry cant help you on the other Q's you had...

HTH

im pretty sure its black, i know the plugs are in a bad way although i have cleanded the, can they cause over fueling, plus it has that little backfire, which i thought was over fueling?

what checks can i do?

thanks guys

a couple are black but more dry a couple gungy black which i guess is oil, it was over heating for a while because of a water pump, im sure this buggered it a bit,

what the plan for checking sorting the running rich,

as a guide it does about 300 miles to a tank,on average if that helps

thanks for the help

300 miles to a tank is fine if the tanks the same size as the golf what does the trip computer say for mpg?

mpg 28-30 normal driving,

how do i check for over fuelling, does anybody want to plug me into there vag.com?? im in london

thanks nick

as said above black smoke is excessive over fueling, might want to check injectors and any temperature sensors around the engine,

as this can cause the ecu to run sporadic and blind, pissing fuel into the cylinders,

*check injectors

*check temp sensors,

*make sure all plugs are connected properly and that no wires are hanging out.

good luck sorting it,

it shouldn't be anything serious at all!

i'll browse through some stuff at work on tues, as im not at work monday, i'll look through E.l.s.a and see if theres anything in there, if so ill print it off and scan it over to you.

complete engine with everything spark plugs to sump plug .£450 . £550 with the gear box and ecu