Sign in to follow this  
Craig

Bournemouth help required...again (steering lock)

Right usual trouble, cars running great so something had to break tonight while i was in winton.

The steering lock mech has broken so the wheel won't turn and its locked in position, had the RAC out and he's tried to loosen the shear bolts to take the whole mech out but cannot undo the last bolt so ive had to leave the car at my mates house in winton.

So i believe i need the steering lock/ignition barrel part (ignition lock housing?), whole unit asap but as i cannot drive the car the rac will tow it and drop it off somewhere so basically i need someone local who has the tools to undo the last shear bolt (may need drilling?) and fit a new mech and swap the ignition barrels over so ill have the same keys as i dont want one key for my door and another to start the car.

I cant really get a part as i have no access to a car so id be utterly grateful for someones help as to locating the part as i need my car asap!

if anyones really interested and can actually help please ring me so they can offer advice as i need to let the rac know where to drop my car off as my car park entrance is too small for it to be delivered here seeing as i cant steer into the car park! typical

im basically asking if someone could accomodate the car and fix it when i get the part, i dont have the tools etc to loosen the bolt and cant even get it in our car park if someone has any advice please let me know as im stuck othrwise, id love to be able get the rac to drive it to g werks but id like to try and get it done locally just to save petrol as im pretty poor right now!

many thanks craig

After doing a bit of searching on gsf and euro parts ive found the following

Euro car parts

857440270 IGNITION LOCK HOUSING VARIOUS VW VARIOUS VW £9.70

ign housing dansk

857440275 LOCK HOUSING GOLF MK2 £22.75

ign housing genuine

857440500 IGNITION HOUSING CORRADO £41.32

ign housing height adjustment

GSF

92835 STEERING LOCK HOUSING £16.50

Question is which part will i need or whats the VAG option? or can i try and get one from a golf/corrado in the scrappy? helps appreciated

Hi Craig,

Sorry I don't have either the knowledge or facilities to help you with this, but I do have a contact number for an excellent local (and decently priced) mobile mechanic in case you need it.

PM with details sent as I'm away for the rest of the weekend

John

just to say thanks for the no. john, miles came today and got the housing off after an hour and half, just driving about now with the steering column taped up as i cant afford the part from vw yet, he also says he's just bought a 944 if you were interested! may see you at the next tidy meet, thanks again for the no!

My pleasure mate. Miles is a top guy & well into VW's as he used to be really into the aircooled scene as he may have told you.

Hopefully he'll come around & give me a run in that 944 with all the recommendations I've been giving people for him :D

I think the next Tidy meet is this Sunday isn't it? I should be there, complete with my new toy... come & find me if you make it over there. Numberplate is A18AGY

Cheers

John

hopefully ill be able to make it down, steering columns bodge but driveable, ill keep an eye out then for the new toy!