Sign in to follow this  
gogs87

few questions about injectors

eventually got round to putting in a kr inlet cam today and was hoping to put the 50mm inlet manifold on aswell. When i eventually got the injectors out i realised the ports they go into were different between manifolds. :mad2:. The ones on the 42mm one have clips holding them in and ports on the 50mm have no slot for the clips to go, also the ports seem wider for the injectors on the 50mm inlet. The 50mm came off a mk2 golf, was that a bad idea getting it? or should i buy injectors for a golf? Was also thinking about higher peformance injectors or should i stick to standard?

when i built the engine back up i put the throttle body from the golf on as it had been knife edged and flowed however when i started the car up it didnt idle the revs just kept going up? there was a hose attached to the corrado throttle body but there was nowhere to connect on the golf one, could this be the problem? thanks

AFAIK the 1.8 KR injectors are basically the same as the 2L 16v ones apart from a different thread to connect them to the fuel lines, the manifold should make no difference. - although having just checked the part numbers the inserts are actually different part numbers.

After about 1990 the 16v's, regardless of being 1.8 or 2L, have spring clips to help hold the injectors into the manifold, but these are only for extra security and not really needed. I've noticed the injector inserts on 1.8's have the grooves for the clips to sit into although most don't have the clips fitted.

Not sure about your vacuum lines and the throttle body though, there are different part numbers for golf and corrado throttle bodies on the 1.8's but they look much the same, 2L has a different one too.

thanks i wasnt to sure if the clips were that essential, they dont look to do much as the injectors were very hard to pull out without them on. Just wondering if i should maybe upgrade them though, prob wont have cash for a while but i could do with some advice in advance. cheers

thanks i wasnt to sure if the clips were that essential, they dont look to do much as the injectors were very hard to pull out without them on. Just wondering if i should maybe upgrade them though, prob wont have cash for a while but i could do with some advice in advance. cheers

no point in looking for any other version of the k-jet injectors, the standard ones are perfectly capable of delivering 200bhp if the engine can breathe that well.

If your old injectors have a dodgy spray pattern or leak then there are some mercedes ones (were available from e-bay) that are much cheaper than the VAG/GSF ones and basically identical, quite a few golf 16v owners have had success with them.

you can clean old ones with an ultrasonic bath, but they would need to be run with a pump to open them too.

there are some mercedes ones (were available from e-bay)

Got any more information on this mate?

there are some mercedes ones (were available from e-bay)

Got any more information on this mate?

these ones i think

careful though, these are suitable for the kr engined k-jet system, the 2.016v ones are different screw threads to the pipes and may have different opening pressure??? IIRC the 2L KE-jet system runs at different pressures to the plain k-jet

you'll find a thread on club GTI about this somewhere

Ho hum. Was worth checking! I really should have bought a 1.8 - easier and cheaper to fix, and more stuff seems to fit them! The 9A seems to be a bit of a bodge!

If the pressures are correct, you can fit them by using KR injector lines Jim....

I bougth a set of the merc injectors and fitted them to my 1.8 16v. You need to swap the caps on the end of the injectors over. I had to use a blowtorch to free mine off.

If the pressures are correct, you can fit them by using KR injector lines Jim....

I bougth a set of the merc injectors and fitted them to my 1.8 16v. You need to swap the caps on the end of the injectors over. I had to use a blowtorch to free mine off.

I went for the Merc injectors, although the ones that were already fitted to my KR were a mismatched set and the endcaps only fitted properly on 2 of the new injectors.

So I fitted the new ones without the endcaps and they've been absolutely fine.

Certainly felt a difference with the new set fitted. Ported throttle body next methinks...

I went for the Merc injectors, although the ones that were already fitted to my KR were a mismatched set and the endcaps only fitted properly on 2 of the new injectors.

So I fitted the new ones without the endcaps and they've been absolutely fine.

Certainly felt a difference with the new set fitted. Ported throttle body next methinks...

I think the 'top hats' are only a heat shield and I don't think anyone has had problems without them on valvers, certainly not on club GTI forum.

The only thing that concerned me was they lose the second small 'o' ring, but I think mk 1 golfs were like this anyway and mercs obviously are too.