Sign in to follow this  
Dan_NI

rolling road results

well guys, was at a rr day on saturday with the NI branch of clubgti was a great day.

my results were 185bhp@(about)5600rpm and 145bhp at the wheels and 197lb/ft@(about)4250rpm

not exactly sure of the the rpm's as don't have the printout in front of me!

the car has been superchipped, magnex cat back exhaust and a k&n cone filter but i reckon this is sapping power.

just wondering are these results near the mark and could you put the increase in torque down to those mods? any ideas?

I assume it's a VR? On a RR, the K&N might even help given that the bonnet is open and huge fans will be ensuring that the filter is fed with lots of cool air. The K&N will start to sap power when the bonnet is down and all the warm air is insulated in the engine bay.

yeah its a vr!

the guy kept the bonnets closed and only had a small fan i'll find a pic of it.

He seemed to know what he was at though as there was a s2000 engined caterham there to be setup aswell.

Does the car feel fast enough on the road for you? If so, don't get too hung up on RR figures - calculating flywheel figures from wheel figures is more of an art than a science... unless the curve is showing major flat spots, under/over-fuelling, or you're not happy with how fast it is, RR figures are just for pub bragging... ;)

Just my 2penn'orth...

thats surprising i thought the supercharger would add torque aswell as top end.

I'm happy enough with the results was just wondering how accurate the torque was!

Would like to do a few mods to get closer to 200bhp

That is quite a tiny fan. The place I use has two of the fans in this pic:

fan.jpg

Did they measure your a/f ratio as well?

I'm not an expert on "tuning" on a RR by any means but you should be looking for a nice stable A/F which get's richer as the engine is put under load. I don't know what the optimim A/F ratio should be on a VR but I'd guess at between 12 and 13:1. 14 is stoichiometric i.e all fuel is burnt but this is close to running lean which is bad. 12 and 13 is a good starting point as a little unburnt fuel cools the charge and prevents det. Put up your graphs and I'm sure you'll get lots of VR experts analysing the charts and gving you decent tips.