Sign in to follow this  
smiler

serious overheating problem

Just wondering if anyone can shead some light on an ongoing overheating prob? bear with me may be long..

corrado 2.0 16v 9a with mods probs are on first purchasing car was running hot ... head work done 7mths ago by stealth and great job they done ... car was running 90c Great :) recently car rises and stops at 120c ... in last week have changed , ecu coolant temp sensor no difference. by this time I notice that the fan is not operating so I change the radiator thermo switch and fan.

fan now comes on at low speed about 114c and high speed 120c them sits there water overflowing from expansion tank I then finally decide to change complete water pump .. yet the temp still rises straight to 120c , does hover around 110 for 4-5 mins

also when car is running at 120c i can still touch the radiator thermo switch with bear hand is this correct ??

oil temp unknown as mfa oil temp not operating,

is there something I am missing or do i have a seriously ill corrado ??

Change both gauge sensors (oil and water)

What coolant mix are you running?

Is the expansion tank cap ok and blue in colour?

Is the thermstat working - ie did you test / change when you changed the pump?

At full temp are both the top and bottom rad hoses hot (too hot to touch)??

Hi thanks for reply, will change both sensors tommorow.

coolant mix G12+

Will need to look at expansion cap but its def blue in colour, thermostat was replaced but not tested.. and both hoses are getting hot.

Hi Mate,

I had the same problem with my G60 a few weeks ago, take the expansion cap off turn it upside down and check that the rubber o-ring is in place and has not rolled up on one side when this happens the system cant presurise so the coolent boils over and shoots out the side of the expansion tank.

thank danvw but prob seems more complex now, took off expansion tank cap to check in regards for supercharged questions.

there seems to be a small amount of oil around the cap, also now have an oil leak coming from round the oil filter... have checked oil in lump and can not see any evidence of water in oil ..can this be another head gasket bearing in mind this was only done 6-7mths ago.. I did read a post on here that oil cooler can give false impressions of head gasket.

Would of changed both sensors but can-not get hold of oil temp sensor until sat.

I already have an heat exchanger do you think I should change that first then if prob still exsist take back to stealth ?? or you think might be safer just to take to stealth.