Sign in to follow this  
DrJustice

Original G60 stereo

I'm wondering if I should get hold of and install the original sound system for my 91 G60. For some reason, all Corrados I've seen have had aftermarket systems, so I've never heard nor seen it.

I quite like the thought of getting that it back to orignal. I'm not into big stereos, and the original is probably more than good enough for me. A few questions then:

Is it anything like this?

How does it sound?

Is it possible to use the aktive speaker system with an aftermarket CD/radio?

Is it worth the trouble and money, in your opinion?

If you happen to have the original door speakers and CD/Radio (or full system...), I'm interested. Will eventually post an ad in the wanted section if the project is on.

DJ

--

mine came with a blaupunkt headunit with a removable card.

original stereos and speakers of the age will sound terrible. stick with what youve got.

My '92 G60 had the original stereo handbook but no stereo. Mine had a Sony system apparently. Desperately trying to convince my other half to rip his Celica to bits to remove his as he has the exact unit in there! Unfortunately, I believe it is not as simple with the Celica to remove as it is with Corrado's & Scirocco's. I have a long wait.......

Mine had a CD player but, due to lowered, hard suspension, the CD's kept skipping so I swapped it for a tape deck system. Anyone else had this? Or was the CD system a cheap one?

I've been trawling the net, and there's not much to be found. Except for that eBay auction mentioned in my previous posting. I'll still be on the lookout, but I may also give in and just go for some current gear to complete what I've got...

Strange how the original stereo is as rare as fresh dinosaur droppings. Could it really have been that bad, or what is it?

DJ

--

when I bought my J plate 1.8 16v new, it had this stereo in... Just found it in the garage it's a bit dusty and had a few knocks over the years. The quality is rubbish compared to now. I installed it on my boat once. It was the only think that was not knicked when it got broken in too :lol:

how you getting on with this mate?

i'm thinking the same thing.the vr6 i've just bought has a terrible kenwood silver thing in it that flashes orange.looks totally out of place.

been looking on ebay.have you considered the audi & skoda symphony cd player. don't think that would look too bad being VAG and all?

The OEM headunits will sound really bad, the later optional Sony spec units in the VR's are not as bad but not OE in a G60.

If you hunt around a bit you can find some more OEM looking units, black appears to be coming back into fashion a bit and this Kenwood unit has green illumination and looks more stock than most I have seen for a while. Head Unit

(The whole Aktiv thing was just a reason to slap a logo and make it sound German and good on the audio systems)