Sign in to follow this  
eatthis

vortech servicing

anybody know how long the v9 goes between servicing?

im pretty sure the bearings are starting to grumble a touch on mine

how easy/hard is it to A get the bearings and B fit them?

where do i get the bearings or get it done in the uk??

Vortech charges somewhere 1k usd for a complete rebuild.

This guy charges 450 for a rebuild. It may even be worth it for you to ship across the pond.

http://www.superchargerrebuilds.com/listings.htm

If you can do it yourself...he charges 245 for the bearings and seals.

"VORTECH V-1, V-2, V-5, V-7, V-9, etc. rebuild kit, 2 input shaft and 2 ABEC-7 (45K RPM) precision thrust output shaft bearings and 2 shaft oil seals"

omfg i just crapped myself thanks for the info mate :(

it looks like a washing machine bearing kit which is rite up my street

has anybody had 1 apart?

will it all fall to a million bits or is it straight forward if done systematically?

Just read through the Vf-Eng literature which came with the 'charger, overhaul period is not listed, other than oil changes every 3000miles, and to check the oil feed lines/connections are clear from blockages.

Could be a nice little earner for G-Werks to get involved in this...

its not so bad when you remember that the GBP is stronger than ever at the moment with an exchange rate of over 2USD - 1GBP

its just the shipping thats the problem..

i was led to believe that the vortech is a pretty robust piece of equipment, and that they will easily do 80k before needing a service, read on vwvortex that one guy had a V2 on a golf vr6 for 7 years, did i think 85k, went to do a serive on the charger, and found all bearings to be in perfect condition. i will look for that article later.

ziderapple,

Mate, any chance you could send me a photocopy of the instructions that came with your 'charger. I never got any with mine and would like to have a set to go in the folder....

If not, no bother. I'll get hold of NSR and get Raj to try and sort me out.

Thanks

You should be able to get all the bearings and seals from a good bearing supplier such as Blue Diamond in Chandlers Ford, near Southampton, for less than £250 I would guess.

i was led to believe that the vortech is a pretty robust piece of equipment, and that they will easily do 80k before needing a service, read on vwvortex that one guy had a V2 on a golf vr6 for 7 years, did i think 85k, went to do a serive on the charger, and found all bearings to be in perfect condition. i will look for that article later.

V9 is different. It's smaller, faster revving, harder worked and consequently more fragile than the bigger V1s, 2s, 5s etc etc.

A lot of guys in the states wanting to run 15psi "reliabley" are having to get uprated bearings fitted because the required belt tension puts too much strain on the standard bearings and they don't last long as a result.

I would expect V9 bearings to last at least 45-50K running 8psi, perhaps a shade less running 10-12psi......but it all depends on belt tension. There's a fine line between too much tension killing the bearings and not enough, causing slip.

got a v2 running 8.5psi.no issues for the 50k miles the sc has been on(checked the extensive sh).did change the oil seal on the shaft(sourced locally).also checked the bearings at the same time-good condition.

Its like anything else that accumulates wear as it ages. If you drive like a normal human being, the V9 should last you a good long time before servicing.

If you redline the crap out of the motor, run it up to max boost everytime you step on it...well...the results would be self explanitory.

I've got over 40k on my V9...no problems that I can see.

Its like asking "how long would my clutch last"?

just to shed some light on rebuilds.i got the washing machine rumble from my v2 sc.decided to bite the bullet and rebuild.got my engineer mate to replace bearings with uprated ones-now its on boost as soon as you blip the throttle :D :D :D .all gears/internal good condition-minimal wear.on examining the bearings the main ones on the shaft had some resistance when turning it by hand.regular oil changes and non overtensioned belts seems to help the life of the sc 8) .

ziderapple,

Mate, any chance you could send me a photocopy of the instructions that came with your 'charger. I never got any with mine and would like to have a set to go in the folder....

If not, no bother. I'll get hold of NSR and get Raj to try and sort me out.

Thanks

Ziderapple

My V9 has started making more noise & Vince recommends an overhaul.

Is there a chance you still have your Vortech instructions & could I have copy? :grin:

Regards Philmo