Sign in to follow this  
VR6 South

Relay for uprated headlight loom

Having lost my dipped beam and checked all the connections to my after market loom I think the relay may have given up on me :cry: Can anyone tell me what I need to ask for when ordering a replacement? Cheers

When mine packed in I just went to Maplins - they do a 40A auto relay which works fine. Just take out your old one, go to the shop and check the terminal numbers match up with the new one.

When mine packed in I just went to Maplins - they do a 40A auto relay which works fine. Just take out your old one, go to the shop and check the terminal numbers match up with the new one.

Cheers. It sounds fairly straight forward.

Yeah - Cheapo maplin relays seem really good - they sell them on the shelf 'automotive relay' for about £2

A cheap fix for once (fingers crossed) :)

40 Amp 12v one will do nicely. The difference in the sndpo (???) and the other one is the number of connections on the bottom. Don't worry though. for headlamp looms, they are interchangable.

40 Amp 12v one will do nicely. The difference in the sndpo (???) and the other one is the number of connections on the bottom. Don't worry though. for headlamp looms, they are interchangable.

Cheers Toad. I think I've got a spare in the garage along with all the parts which I've taken of the C getting ready for the respray :D

I think I've got one knocking about somewhere if you can't sort it by tuesday. I could meet you in Fareham at some point if you wanted. I couldn't guarantee how good it was though.

I think I've got one knocking about somewhere if you can't sort it by tuesday. I could meet you in Fareham at some point if you wanted. I couldn't guarantee how good it was though.

Cheers for the offer Toad. There's no rush as the car will be off the road for a couple of weeks. I'm going to take a look today to see if any of my spare relays fit.

I've just tried a replacement relay and it hasn't fixed the problem :? The problem is that the dipped lights only come on when the main beam is on. My uprated loom is only for the dipped beam and I've checked all of the connections and fuses. Any ideas?

Time for the multimeter I think Martin... Can you bypass the loom and plug the original loom in to see if that was OK?

VR6 South, do the relays go into a relay plate rather than wires?

If so check the new relay has the same pin positions as the old as I have seen some that are different...

VR6 South, do the relays go into a relay plate rather than wires?

If so check the new relay has the same pin positions as the old as I have seen some that are different...

It does not use a relay plate, but I may have got it mixed up if the connections are in a different place

Time for the multimeter I think Martin... Can you bypass the loom and plug the original loom in to see if that was OK?

I'm not familiar with using a mutimeter :oops: I will try putting the wiring back to original to see what happens.