Sign in to follow this  
TrentSC

Mystery wire - any ideas?

I've finally got around to taking my digital camera down to the garage and have taken a couple of pix of a mystery wire that's not attached to anything, but might be the cause of a minor problem I've been having. Then again, it might be completely unrelated...

The problem first. The temperature warning light on the dash is flashing and the gauge is stuck on zero all the time. The guy I bought it from said that the sensor hadn't been reattached, but without casting nasturtiums, I'll take that with a pinch of salt.

The pics of the cable are here:

mystery_wire_1.JPG

mystery_wire_2.JPG

As you can see, it emerges from the control box behind the coolant tank and is simply tied around the pipe and I know for certain that's not right! The end of the cable is simply a bare wire and as there isn't a plug on it there there isn't an obvious clue as to what it might be and where it should go.

Could someone point me in the right direction, please?

Many thanks.

That looks like speaker cable to me m8 :?

Eek! I hope not - all the speakers seem to be doing their thing.

Wonder if its been used as a temp fix for something? rather than using propper automotive wire...

Neil.

Wonder if its been used as a temp fix for something? rather than using propper automotive wire...

Neil.

Quite possibly. Bearing in mind the problem with the temperature sensor, I wonder if it was an attempted workaround which was subsequently abandoned.

Aye...

The light will flash if the coolant level is too low (via the sender you can see plugged in on expansion tank)

You could unplug it and bridge the plug/connector with some wire to see if it stops the flashing,if it does this will tell you that the expansion tank needs replacing. assuming coolant level is good.

If that solves nothing...another reason it can flash is if the temp gauge is disconnected.ie:probably the reason why the needle isn't rising.

This uses a sender on the side of the head i think (been a while since i played with a valver)

I think there are three,all single spade terminals.You can swap them around to see if it remedies the problem as the senders are all the same part number.

Hope that helps.

Neil.