Sign in to follow this  
Goldie

Manifold and Rocker Cover polishing

Ok, ive purchased a VGI and metal rocker cover for my car and would like to polish them up before fitting.

I have shopped around proper places to have this done and still havent ruled out sending it off but as i have access to mills and lathes and various other bits and bobs id rather do it myself with some guidance..

Yesterday i milled the logo off succesfully and can see now that the metal is pitted and im concerned that if i just polish this it may look crap.

So, what have people done with their manifolds and various other metal stuff for a quality smooth finish? Have people had them plate with Chrome or Nickel or have they just had them polished. Has the quality of the finish lasted...

plating wont hide any pits or nasty bits, if theres defects that wont sand out you might have to powder coat it

if theres defects that wont sand out you might have to powder coat it

Bugger, i had a feeling that may be the case..

Im gonna do some more work on it tomorrow and see if i can get the pitting out and go from there...

if theres defects that wont sand out you might have to powder coat it

Bugger, i had a feeling that may be the case..

Im gonna do some more work on it tomorrow and see if i can get the pitting out and go from there...

I had same nitemare, i went for powdercoat. You won't sand it out there just a bad cast. Thing is chrome powdercoat won't match polished rocker cover need to get both done.

Wish i gone for black powdercoat now :?

I had same nitemare, i went for powdercoat. You won't sand it out there just a bad cast

So what did you ask for when you got yours done, where did you get it done and how much did it set you back??

Goldie,

I think there's a place within a mile of you who did AB's powder coating. I'll give you the details tomorrow :)

think there's a place within a mile of you who did AB's powder coating. I'll give you the details tomorrow

Nice one, ta very much....

A mate of mine is doing me a mirror polished rocker cover for my G60, he has done half of it and it looks brilliant....but we both have no idea how much i should be paying him for it, what do you think is a fair price for it ?......It's his spare rocker cover by the way, not mine that he is polishing.

Cheers Chris.