Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

Gear selection

Since getting my car back from its engine rebuild (and covering all of 60miles due to it failing the mot, AGAIN) i have noticed the gearbox feels different.

When selecting gears the gear stick seems to need to move alot more that before, if that makes sense. The angle at which the gear lever sits and the distance i have to move it (say from 1st to 2nd) seems to have gotten alot larger. I noticed in pictures within the gallery that peopls gearsticks would sit at large angles when in gear, and mine never used to, it only required slight movement in and out of gears, but this isnt the case anymore.

Question is, was it operating correctly before the rebuild, or is it now behaving as it should?

Also, the cluth and accelerator pedals are rather having (they also have been though), is there anyway of making them a little more comfortable on the old leg muscles? or is it pretty much tough cookie?

Look at the selector mechanism on top of the box whilst someone gently moves the gearlever a little bit, fore and aft and then left and right and look for any lost movement in the selector parts.

Look at the selector mechanism on top of the box whilst someone gently moves the gearlever a little bit, fore and aft and then left and right and look for any lost movement in the selector parts.

Ta muchly. I will try this once it returns from the garage having some MOT work done.

I was thinking maybe an overhaul of the linkages might sort the problem?