Sign in to follow this  
Roadie

Painted callipers

Has ne1 ever painted there callipers? If so what paint, how easy, and did the paint last?

I got alot of nice space with me alloys and it would make a nice touch 8)

I've painted mine gold to keep it like brand new calipers. Used smooth finish Hammerite. Dead easy, 3 or 4 coats takes about 2 hours. It's lasted 2 years so far.

ROADHOG,

I painted my calipers recently and used Silver hamerite paint. I just removed the wheels, sanded and cleaned (with thinners) what I could see of the calipers, then painted them. I wanted to see what it would look like without going to all the bother off removing them 'n that.

Since I done the job I've heard a few poeple comment about painting the calipers. One guy said that unless you use the proper paint you could end up with the calipers going on fire as, they do get pretty hot under braking.

What I have noticed (maybe its a coincedance!!) is that one of my back calipers is now sticking :x . Maybe I painted over something I shouldn't have.

BTW they do look cool 8)

I think the hammerite paint properties are the same. Its the finishos that are different, I used th smoother finish for mine.

I ve used hamerite metal paint smooth finish in white on my calipers they are an absolute B*itch to keep clean all that dirty black braek dust really sticks to them, I'm probably gonna paint them a different colour as it's really hard to keep them looking good but hammerite seems to be the best paint to go for it's very hard wearing and lasts for ages!!!!

Doh! and I was gonna choose white, best select a different colour :(

Hmmm, luminous green or Royal blue or maybe even vibrant red or yellow..........

You should already know by now that I am nuts when it comes to me motors!!! :)

White is alright as long as you dont let the brake dustsettle for too long the best thing is to give em a spray with brake cleaner and give em a wipe over that does the trick nicely!! :)

What I have noticed (maybe its a coincedance!!) is that one of my back calipers is now sticking :x . Maybe I painted over something I shouldn't have.

I've heard a few people having problems with sticking calipers. As you say it probably is a coincidence.

HTH