Sign in to follow this  
dan

Short Shifters

The throw distance in the corrado gear shift is v long and, if you shorten the throw to change gear half a second quicker then its an inexpensive way of improving performance (i.e. 2 secs by fifth gear). So with this in mind I was wondering if anyone has fitted one of those short shifters to their corrado? I've seen them advertised for £106 with your old gear mechanism exchanged.

Last year I took the advise of a fellow c owner who removed the gear mechanism under the console and lowered the centre of gravity on the gear stick thus giving a shorter throw. There is a lot of theory in doing this job (too much to type) and trust me it works but, it is difficult.

I tried this myself and after much 'head wreaking' I managed to put it all back together and get it working again. I have to say that mine was not a success. When doing this job precision is needed otherwise the change is very notchy, especially changing down into 2nd. I even adjusted the cables at the gearbox to try and get a smoother shift without success. No worries because the mechanism is the same in passat's up to '94. I got a replacement for a fiver in a scrap yard and my change is as good as new.

But I do like the idea of a shorter shift and would be interested to hear if anyone has tried the £106 version.

Cheers

Hi Dan I haven't tried it yet but this is a mod I am planning to do in the near future so if in a month or so we can get a group buy together to get the price down a bit I will be up for that providing the kit is worth having of course. I knopw that TSR have the short shift mech's for sale but they are £125 so a bit more pricey but have heard they are very good quality!!!

I've seen them advertised in an old PVW mag for £106. I'll try and dig it out and get the details on here.

brookescourt, would you recommend the B & M type? Is it silver like it shows in the ad, if so, how do you manage with your leather gator?

I found an old PVW mag (Nov '02) on a Venom advertisment. It offers the B&M quickshift to suit the corrado for £105.

I bought a B&M one, but it's nothing like the one in the picture. I think they used to make one like the picture, but realised that the Mk3 etc one would fit a Corrado so discontinued it. Shame as it does look smart.

When I fit my VW Racing shifter I'll be selling mine, I havn't even used the B&M one yet :oops: as my car's off the road

Yes I would reccomend it, When I had it fitted by TSR they welded it in instead of using some clips or something that comes in the kit as they were getting problems with the first batch they fitted coming apart. I'm sure they would explain better.

It does make the gearknob about2 inches higher though, but it didn't bother me.

I've got one to, its great but you cant shift the leave quick with the short sihft, cos your doing it already!!!

I ve heard there is also the motorsport sequential shifter available for the raddo it was in an old copy of PVW it cost £500 but that sounds really cool to me sequential gears!! MMMMMMM

I ve heard there is also the motorsport sequential shifter available for the raddo it was in an old copy of PVW it cost £500 but that sounds really cool to me sequential gears!! MMMMMMM

they look cool and the idea is sound, it changes the leaver movment via a disc!! see here!!

[web]http://www.seqshift.com/[/web]

can you get anythign like the weighted the shift rod idea for golfs?

I would like a more solid feel. Or am I stuck with it cos of cable change?

I use the B&M short shift too, the throw is greatly reduced but you have to be a bit more aggressive with gear changes. Personally I love it, 0-60 times are reduced since the original throw is horribly long. :?

can you get anythign like the weighted the shift rod idea for golfs?

I would like a more solid feel. Or am I stuck with it cos of cable change?

The VR6 Corrados had a shift wieght and this can be added to a G60 if you get the 1991-1992 Boost pipe(IC>TB) the wight has to be from a Vr6 passat or Corrado. It did not help my shifting when I installed it but then again I have the best shift Corrado G60 that I have ever driven. I did pick up a bit of 2nd gear syncro grind after installing the wieght. So I sold it to my friend and he loves it. It cleaned up his shifting by a lot and he did not suffer from and grinding.