Sign in to follow this  
filski

Temp guage

Hi,

i got a '94 2.0L auto and all is good and well. but, my temp guage (original dial on left of dash) has bee slowly showing a lower avarage running temp over the last few months.

it all seems to work fine, the guage works as expected in normal driving, (goes up when hot and down when cooler) but normal running temp shows under 70'c as opposed to 90'c-100'c. the guage seemd to react to hight temps and also when fan kicks in aroudn town - as i said all seems normal but as if somehow the scale has been moved. oil temp is normal, so i figure it might be the temp sensor is on its way out, or the guage.

any ideas amigos?

cheers

Sounds like you have an old thermostat that is not quite closing properly

(as you mentioned its got worse over time)

be warned though the new VW stat's are sh1te!

I went through 3 before I gave up and put the old one back in. :x :roll:

So my G60 has the same symptoms i.e clear run water temp shows under 70

but stuck in traffic goes up to between 90 and 110

Becuase of the design, these senders under-read with age...

I would each replace the guage one and I suspect you may also find the rad-fan thermoswitch is not working properly either... (should hit 100 at most in traffic and usually sit dead on 90)

right, so i have replaced the temp guage switch and now the temp guage reads normal driving temp 100 - 105, and in traffic it hits 110 + and the fan kicks in at about 109/110. once the water temp warning light flashed and i stopped to cool down , after sitting in traffic for ages. so i presume i need a rad-fan thermo swtich to kick start the fan ealrier as mine seems to be getting too hot. i have looked at the GSF parts website, and they list several red-fan thermo switches...part no 93470/93474/93478...i don't have a manual and can't seemt to locate them on the car..can you suggest where to look and which to replace?

Yep, sounds like the thermoswitch is only working at stage 2....

There is round and a straight plug version, your should be the straight omne with 3 pins in a line

It's located on the rad between the top and bottom hoses - check which it is before ordering

Also check you have the right size spanner to undo it and you will probably need to remove the battery for clearance

Also check you have the right size spanner to undo it and you will probably need to remove the battery for clearance

and even then it still a git, if you can find a deep socket that'll fit you should be able to take it off without a problem

Worth mentioning.. your thermo switch might have been hacked like mine (not sure whats going on with it) so that the plastic surround that will make sure you can only plug it in one way has been removed meaning you can plug it on two ways.. one will be right and one will be upside down.

Just changed my rad this weekend and we put the connector on and I found my temps were getting much higher but then the fan would come on sounding like a rocket to cool it down. Left it like this a few days thinking it didn't sound right and disconnected the plug and put it on the other way round.. now the fan is coming on much earlier but at a much lower speed and keeping the temps more normal...

Worth checking the plug!

right, so went and got a new thermo-switch 3 plug stylee (round) and found it down the side of the rad.

my next question may be very obvious, but i thought i'd better check anyway, do i have to drain the coolant before removing the old one? i don't ewant to get it off and find all my coolant all over the pavement. i presume as it's under the top level of coolant in the rad it'll all drain out - or is it a closed system and can be removed easy?

Ah good point....

No - make sure the engine is cold and remove the exp tank cap to release any pressure... you should be able to swap them over without loosing much...

Just watch the seal comes off and goes on etc - your new one should have a captive copper washer?

yep it has...gotta shoot of for do a job now so will have a play tomorrow.... cheers for the help.

hi,

changed the switch at the weekend and all looks good so far. Temp sits at 95-100 most of the time..rises just a bit to about 106/7 after ages in traffic and after a motorway 20 miles or so..so seems to keep low and cool and so job done.

thanks for the help..