Sign in to follow this  
Sonicriot13

Bringing Back A Valver From The Brink

Certainly a posibility mate. Am at my girlfriend's house at the moment and when I get home I'll look over them a bit better. If it is from an 8 valve is it likely that is the reason it is leaking at the union? The one on the right did come off very easily so maybe it's just a poor fit and not that the union nut is corroded as I first suspected. But then that begs the question what on earth is it doing there in the first place??? Surely if you needed to change the injector you'd replace it with the right sort? I'm still gonna remove the manifold just to be sure. I had to take the upper section off anyway to change the cam cover gasket as that was a bit weepy top left so taking the lower section off as well is nay bother. Better to be safe than sorry. I'd rather not have bits of injector rattling around in the cylinder head even if it's only a slight possibility.

Thanks for that buddy. Joe

I would say the leak is more probably down to the cretin that's been working on it not tightening things properly lol... (umm for clarity I mean the previous owner / "mechanic")

As for functionality, I have used 8v GTi K-Jet units in place of 16v K-Jet units quite a few times over the years. I far as I could work out the main difference is simply to accommodate the injector cooling system that VW fitted to the late 8v K-Jet and all(?) 16v KR's (hence the two seals, one upper - same as 8v and one little lower one to seal the air system off from the inlet tract).

I don't recall ever having problems with the "wrong" injectors leaking, I think the cracking pressure may be a little different though so it IS possible that this is the cause.

As for why it's there, 8v injectors are easy to find in scrap yards, 16v are rarer, I would thinks it's that simple to be honest...

Cheers

Simon

Don't get me wrong, I am very much still learning myself and I've got a long way to go before I reach the level of some of the people on this forum but whoever had this car before me was either completely ignorant or just didn't care. Everything I've found has just been a total bodge if they've bothered to repair it at all. They couldn't even get the stereo out without breaking the console. It does annoy me because I think about how nice this car was/is and how there are some people that would have given their left arm for it and treated it how it deserves to be treated instead of letting it get in this state. I know I am trying my hardest to fix it but the fact remains it shouldn't be in pieces on my front garden, it should be on the road where it belongs. Everything that's wrong is down to neglect and the fact that when work has been done the person didn't have a clue. It started off funny, like the marigold glove just left in the engine bay and the wads of tissue paper stuffed in various places, but now I find it a bit depressing. But then it's making me more determined to get it sorted and I am very much enjoying working on it so mixed feelings really. Sounds sad I know and rant over.

This is a 9A engine code not the KR so would those 8v units fit a 9A properly as well?

I have to agree with you, makes me depressed when I see what could be a nice car in the hands of some pr*ck that can't / won't look after it properly.

In my former life I was involved with Subaru's and they are really going that way now, people see a WRX for £3k and think they can afford it, not understanding the cost to maintain them, so they turn into shed's and the WRX gets a rep as a "bad" car simply because the chav's can't afford to run em... grrrrr lol

Pretty much all the K-Jet injectors are pretty much the same as I recall, certainly the 9A is not that different to a KR, just a few more "control" bits.

Cool, cheers for all your help mate :thumbleft:. Think I'm gonna just replace all the injectors and fuel lines and be done with it. I've tried refitting that injector and it's just really loose no matter how much I try to tighten it. Good thing I get paid on the 28th that's all I can say.... :lol:

Some cars do have the unfortunate side effect of attracting the attention of chavs and scoobies are one of those. It is a great shame really. Mk2 golfs are another. Trying to find a none ragged one of those is getting harder and harder.

i`m just starting in the same boat today (check my gallery below)

bought a 1.8valver lucky i got 2 days off this week

Please note that in no way do I condone the act of pulling sickies. Such actions are ill advised and can cause a person to get disciplined or fired. If they get found out. :D

It's alive! :D :D :D Picked up some half decent condition fuel lines from Stevens on saturday and it's running! It even idles and everything. Still not 100% but finally I'm getting somewhere. Need to find some wheels so I can take it out for a blast. Think it's a bit flooded and chocked up at the moment. Oh, and now it's running a bit better found the exhaust is blowing :lol: ....

It's not alive! :( :( :( Thought I'd take it for a little jaunt today. Just around the block as it hasn't moved from the spot since I got it home. Put the key in the ignition.... Lots of starter motor action but nothing much else. Damn it. Tried again and got it to start and this time there is stupid amounts of smoke billowing out of it. I can't believe it. All the work I've put into it and it's getting worse! Oh well, at least it idles now. It wasn't doing that before. I'm starting to think this is something very serious though. I'm going to take the whole engine to bits and just rebuild the bstard. I just can't imagine how it got like this. What did they do to it???

Hi,just read your thread.How can people do that?My work van gets treated better than that.Hows rebuild of lump going?Hope theres lots of uprated parts been bought. 8)

It's going good buddy. Am gonna update after the weekend as I have loads of work planned and lots of spare time to do it in for a change. Found some more interesting things in a plastic bag in the boot where the spare wheel goes over the last week. Lets just say I think the previous owner realised there was something wrong with the injectors but didn't quite know what they were doing! :lol: One more concerted effort and I should be just about there. It's gonna have to go into the garage for the exhaust cos I can't fix that myself but I have holiday next week so if I can get it running properly this weekend I'm hoping I can take it to the scorcher. We'll have to see....

Whilst rummaging amongst the crap in the boot I found a small sandwich bag containing these.... Do you think someone was having a little trouble with their injectors perhaps? :lol: :lol: :lol:

522a5f20dd.jpg

Whilst rummaging amongst the crap in the boot I found a small sandwich bag containing these.... Do you think someone was having a little trouble with their injectors perhaps? :lol: :lol: :lol:

522a5f20dd.jpg

Just stumbled accrossed this, The body of the car seems straight and it is good to see you are bringing her back to life.

From the picture above I don't think the previous owner knew the difference between air shrouded injectors and non shrouded. :shock:

In a sandwich box?Theres your problem then,injectors in sandwich box, sandwich where injectors should be!! :)

In a sandwich box?Theres your problem then,injectors in sandwich box, sandwich where injectors should be!! :)

:lol: Well, I think the bread was used for the injectors and the swiss cheese filling was used for the head gasket.... It's been a long day. And to make matters worse the G won't start now. Went to go out earlier and the battery is flat! It's been left a little while but not that long. At this rate I'll be going to the scorcher on the bl**dy train! :(

Well, picked up a set of wheels yesterday (from Besian, thanks again buddy :thumbleft:) and fitted em today. Vast improvement over those sh*tty Integrals. No job is proving simple on this car, mainly due to previous ineptitudes on the part of past owners. One of the spacers was glued on.... :lol: Why? Anyway, it's starting to take shape now. Just got to finish the engine. Got some great pictures of that coming soon....

c3b50f9ef8.jpg

c479ad7cf6.jpg

Well, here's the head gasket. :D After finally getting the cylinder head off. My arms hurt....

b9c6707997.jpg

Not that it's especially interesting but I think it might be a little on the fecked side. What do you reckon?

Also just examining the valves and pistons, they have a black sooty coating over them. Am I right in thinking the fuel mixture is a bit rich or is this another problem?

A little progress now yes mate. Today has been the first day in about two weeks that I've had a chance to work on her. Just been piecing the engine back together from the bottom up. Left it at the intake manifold upper section. Here's a brief(ish) list of what I have done so far:

New battery

New air filter

New oil

New oil filter

New HT leads

New dizzy cap

New rotor arm

New plugs

Replaced injectors and fuel lines with ones from salvage that are working fine

Replaced head gasket

Gave everything a good clean (though not as clean as I would have liked but running out of time)

Replaced loads of gaskets (basically bought an entire set of engine gaskets and seals and replaced all the ones that have needed it or been disturbed)

Probably a whole load of other stuff I've forgotten/erased from my mind. Still need to do fuel filter and drain fuel tank, flush out the cooling system and refill, and put the rest of the engine back together. Shouldn't be too long now. Basically if it doesn't run after this I'm gonna need VAG COM. It'll have to be a dodgey sensor or something because mechanically this engine should be sound as.

Will try and get the majority of what's left done after work this week. And I'm free all next weekend anyway so will update then. It's kind of a strange mixture of apprehension and excitement at the moment.

Definitely will :thumbleft:. Was thinking of selling but doubt I'll get much for it so I'm going to keep it and get some use out of it. As soon as it's in a fit state to be a daily I'm taking the G60 off the road and getting that proper sorted out. Can't wait to start work on that. I've got so much planned.

Well, it's crunch time tomorrow. Just need to return the tension to the timing belt and replace the air intake duct and associated pipes and it's time to turn the key.... Sad thing is I'm so nervous about it! :shaking: What if it doesn't work? I don't want to have done all this work just to have to go straight back to the drawing board. :scratch: