Sign in to follow this  
Kick Up The Rs

New wheels fitted - rear clearance issue.

Fitted my RS4 replica wheels courtesy of DaveM to my G this evening and they look the dogs.

However a minor problem in that the inside edge of the rear tyre is fouling the lower suspension cup of my Wetec Ultra GT suspension.

I reckon I know why because the lower cup is on the lowest setting as I couldn't get the correct ride height on the middle setting (it was a 40mm kit, but the front was a lot lower than the rear - hence the adjustment on the rears)

Anyway, I have to options, but really unsure which way to go...

1) fit spacers (10mm) to bring the wheel away from the cup.

or

2) fit -60mm springs on the rears which will allow me to revert to a mid position setting on the lower cup i.e same ride height but a higher cup position.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Wheels are 7 x 17, ET35 with 205/40 tyres I think.

Oh and here's a piccie to show you how she looks.... 8)

Not one for being impatient, but can help as I need to get her rolling again before Friday... :(

The upside of it is that I don't need a handbrake at the mo.

Ta.

I would have though that spacers are your only real option if the wheels are fouling on the inside? I could be wrong though!

Your car is looking stunning BTW 8) .

I've always run 7" wide rims and had no problems at the rear, be it dropped or not. However my suspention cups are standard. Im sure both sets of my rims have about 35ET.

Either option seems worthy to me though. So which job is cheapest? The spacers you can do your self for sure, and probably even be able to change the cups your self too; flip a coin maybe. Having said that, im not a fan of spacers and prefer to get the correct ET wheel for the setup.

If you space the wheel out, with your current drop, will you foul the arch? Remember that it will handle differently too !!!!

Cheers All,

I reckon if I move the lower cup setting up one notch on the strut, it will clear the tyre so no probs. And as the lower cup is fixed relative to the wheel I should be OK. I don't mind doing the job myself as I fitted the kit not long ago.

The problem is that the car sits very low on the front compared to the rear already (hence the lowest cup setting- something to do with the G60 kit appararently), so I'm reluctant to raise the rear height. Hope this makes sense.

Will follow the FK instructions re. working out how much I can bring the rear wheel out by to see if it's sufficient to clear the cup.

Love the whole car now (at last) - so I'm gonna perservere...