Sign in to follow this  
Anton

Rust on Wheel Arch

Hi All.

I am new to this so let me know if I do something wrong.

One of my rear wheel arches paintwork is beginning to bubble with a small amount of rust under the paint around the edge. I have been advised to do something about it before it spreads.

My mechanic explains to me that what he will do is cut rusted section and replace it with a piece cut from a new? wheel arch however he as asked me to souce one as he as been unable to from his ususal supplier(s).

Anyone got any ideas who would have this part.

Thanks

you wouldnt need a whole new arch, a bodyshop can repair it no probs. theyll just take all the old paint off, smooth it down, fill the rusty section then spray it again :lol:

Happened to mine. One shop had your problem, they wanted to cut the whole thing out and replace it, but couldn't source a section.

The other one said it didn't all need cut out, so they cut out sections of the lipped bit only (sort of a right angle section). These bits are easily avaiable to body shops, as they can be worked to whatever diameter they want.

I thought my arches were gonners, but I saw it before it was r- painted, and there were only about 2 or 3 sections of about 4-5 inches long on each arch that needed replaced. The rest of the metal cleaned right up. :D

BTW i was told at the time that they could fill and repaint, or cut, weld and paint, but that the welding would be a far more permanent job. They really only recommended filling it if you were tyring to flog the car.