Sign in to follow this  
Jon_vr6

Rim Leak lol!

Can a rim leak on an alloy wheel be fixed by a refurber? Its not the tyre its the actual alloy itself its like ive hit a kerb or something like that and has caused a nasty dent on the inside rim of the alloy causing kwickfit to say they cant fit a tyre to it ??

cheers

Jon

If the inside rim is corroded or damaged then the tyre will not seat correctly, a refurb should sort it out though....

i hope so mate they dont make my OZ nova alloys any more so heres hoping! 2days so far with the space saver lol looks so funny! :D

Right its definately down to a pothole check the picture! Anyone ever used a wheel straightening service ??

If that was one of my wheels, Id carefully hit the flat spot with either a rubber hammer, or put a piece of wood on the flat spot and hit that, and get it somewhere near

Be interested to see what you come off with - flatted one of my Mk 2's wheels in a humungous Lake District crater and need to see if I can get it fixed. For now it's running a steelie on one corner, which looks crap to say the least.

Google threw up a place in Preston that claims to be able to sort this sort of damage. Keep meaning to get them to look at mine, but I'm mired in inertia and getting some 288mm brakes sorted for the Storm:

http://www.wheelrepair.co.uk/

It's all at your own risk etc and reading up on alloy repairs implies that if you do have it straightened, it'll be weakened at that point. Anyway, if you do get it fixed or find somewhere nearer Manchester / Stockport / Peak who can fix it, let me know :-)

Just sorted the 288mm conversion on my car and they are soooo much better than the 280s! Just gotta get the alloy sorted now! Gonna take it to this place in stockport and see what they say hopefully they can sort it otherwise im gonna have to either get the solitudes that are in dyer need of a refurb or get some new alloys!

http://www.diamond-wheels.net/index.htm

You need any pointers on your 288mm brakes give either me a shout or goldie whos posted on this topic!

Cheers fella, is the pedal feel better with the 288mm brakes?

Let us know what happens with the wheel as well, I need to get the GiT one sorted :-)

yeah and can only get better as i get past the wearing in stage! Instead of braking half a mile before a junction you can leave it a bit later lol!

Yeah might drop it off at that place in stockport tomorrow they emailed me back with the opening times so might drop it off later on in the day and then hopefully get the storm back to what it was and from now on only drive fast on the motorways and drive slow on minor roads the potholes in this country are a mess when is someone going to sort them out stresses me out! What the hell do we pay road tax for so they can put up more cameras! Anyway rant over will let you know mate and when you do get round to the 288s be very careful not to round the bolt that connects the flexi hose to the solid brakeline under the arch!

Cool, cheers for that. I stuck the front wheel of the Golf in a massive pothole on the Wrynose Pass in the Lakes - it trashed the tyre, flatted the inner rim of the wheel, wrote off the damper and bent the wishbone on that side... All cos some muppet came round a blind bend in the middle of the road. Nice.