Sign in to follow this  
jonny-5

Overheating Brakes

I changed my front brake pads this morning. But now the brakes are getting very hot and i'm getting alot of brake fade, what could I have done/haven't done to cause this? I've done this job loads of times and never had this problem. Can anyone help?

Did change the discs as well? If not you may have glazed the pads, if you were a little over zelous with your braking before they're bedded in??

I'd strip them back down and check everything.. did you remove any corrosion from the sliding surfaces on the carrier?

If they are glazed as MrBeige says, take the shiny material off with sandpaper.

Are the calipers moving freely? and the pins nicely greased?

What car/pads are they?

If you braking hard then you havn't given them time to bed in but if they are getting hot just from driving then there may be a bind - most likly the sliding edges of the carrier need cleaning again (flat blade screwdriver) and re-greasing...

The other thing is fluid - fluid is forced back from the piston into the line when you change pads, maybe old or contaminated....

yeh was thinking about the fluid,might give it a quick change and bleed before i go for round 2 of gti international.

Pads should be used hard out of the box on existing discs to bake the resins through. It is babying them that causes glazing, not hard use.

New discs + new pads should be bedded in properly by progressively increasing pedal pressure over 10 miles driving.

It's not an exact science due to material differences, but it works 8 times out of 10. Don't be shy, use the brakes!

Pads should be used hard out of the box on existing discs to bake the resins through. It is babying them that causes glazing, not hard use.

Well bloody hell, I've got that all wrong then! I stand corrected Mr Wire :o

That's how some race teams do it. They go round the track once, jabbing the brakes, leave a few secs to cool, jab again, cool, jab etc etc with increasing force. By the time they've done one lap, they're bedded :lol:

Works for me too, on the road. Just brake normally avoiding emergency stops and progressively increase pedal force.

Normal OE spec road pads are more tolerant of not sticking to bedding in though, they just catch fire and smoke if you go too mad, or just don't grip and fade :lol:

I know on the bike its recommended that you brake firmly from 30 at least 3 times, then Hard from 40, then from 50; beds them in nicely. Pads are made very differently these days and dont have the problems of old. Last week when I took out my new pads, I just rubbed them together to ensure no oxidising had taken place - plenty of dust fell off; grippy from the off. You could take yours out and do the same; that way you can see eveything is in place ok too.