Sign in to follow this  
joebrent

how to fit dials?

I have just bought a whole dial unit from the guy who was selling them on here a couple of days ago, im taking my car to a garage for some work in a couple of weeks but was wondering how to fit the dials, i cant seem to work out how to get the old ones out!, can i change the mileage on the new dials? the guy i bought them from said you can put them up but not down, i tried to roll them from the front but with no joy :oops: I cant just swap my speedo dial with the mileage on it as my old dials are black and the new ones are white. :twisted:

cheers in advance :D

cant you just swap the dials??are the ones you bought just the plastic type made by lockwood??if they are they would just slip over the needle on yours

no its the whole unit, its not just plastic white dials. i need to know how to take out the existing dash unit, i can see two screws above on the dash console above the dials, but somebody told me you need to remove screws from behind the switches around the dash???

theres 2 screws behind little plastic covers in the corners of the dash housing,but just looking at the pics of your new dials they just look like the lockwood plastic ones that just slide over the needle,you can actually see the slit on them

forget the white dials, its got nothing to do with the white dials, im changing the whole unit as the dial unit thats on my car at the moment is knackered. dont worry if you couldnt understand the simple question, i wanted to know how to put a whole dial unit in! does it slot in?, does anything need wiring? how i put my mileage in the new dials?

well if you said that yours were knackred in the first place then i/we would of understood your question better :) ,first of all are the clocks the same style as yours?what year/model is your car,the reason i ask is because on my car there is no speedo cable just a wire block,dont know if its the same as a 16v or g60..

to remove your clocks first remove the surround(4 screws) then you will see 2 screws near the top of the dials,remoce them and the clock will fall forward,then just unclip the speedo cable(if its got one)then the wiring block and the vacum pipe then just lift it from the cradle

ok thanks mate, seems pretty straight forward :)

the only problem i now have is how to put my mileage on the new dials? my car has 123k and the new dials are 85k,i cant use the whole speedo dial as the new dials are white and the old are black, the white dials have been glued on aswell so cant take really take em off. somebody told me you can roll teh numbers up but it is quite tricky to do :evil:

anyone got any ideas???

thanks again