Sign in to follow this  
flyferrari

How to remove and clean the Idle Stabilization valve (ISV)

Hi Guys,

I have tried doing an advanced search on this but have got nowhere. If somebody would be kind enough to tell me how to do this on a VR6 engine or point me in the direction of instructions already written then I'd be most grateful.

Regards

Kevin

Hi, suprised you haven't picked up anything on the search the ISV is a regular cause of stalling.

Anyway, it's very simple you loosen the clip to the damper - the black plastic 'box' with 2 pipes on it, [it's been a while so it may be some other fixing] remove it, un plug the connection at the base of the ISV and then just slide the iSV out of it's rubber sleeve. To clean it get a plastic bag/jiffy bag [whatever it'll fit into], put it in, then submerge in contact cleaner from Maplin, soak for 5-10mins, shake it vigorously, remove. Then drown it in silicone lube & put it back. Et voila! rock solid idle...theoretically :)

Good luck

Thanks for the reply. Whenyou say silicon lube do you mean standard silicon spray or something more specialized? Also are there any traps that are to be avoided? I'd hate to end up doing more damage than good.......particularly when the part costs a few hundred pounds!!!!

Regrads

Kevin

I wouldn't put silicone based lube anywhere near the intake system. I think silicon destroys the Lambda sensor.