Sign in to follow this  
wandee

Is my ABS *working* ok??

Hi all, newbie here, gonna have plenty of other questions to ask on these forums I'm sure as I am the new owner of a 'Rado VR6 and I know very little about them!

I've already tried doing a search using the term ABS in the search box but it wont find anything for me...what am I doing wrong?

Anyway....

My car's ABS light is staying on...common problem I know..and tomorrow I am going to check and clean all four wheel sensors, but what I need to know is....does my ABS still actually work? (All I've ever owned is Mk2 Golfs & Jettas so I am in the dark when it comes to ABS problems)

When I start the car with the brake pedal pressed there is a "click" of the pedal...does that signify that the system is functioning correctly even though the warning light is staying on?

In other words what I am saying is...please reassure me that I do not need a new ABS pump! :)

My advice would be to get it Vagcom'd, that will tell you whether there is a fault with your wheel sensers...

:lol: Dont think I fancy trying that technique just yet thanks!

Dont have VAGCOM and dont fancy forking out the ~£80 for the dealer to do it.....yet.

So if the pedal clicks it doesnt necessarily mean that the ABS actually works?

Seriously, a quick braking manouver from any kind of speed will easily show up if it's working mate. Don't be shy now! :)

Dont have VAGCOM and dont fancy forking out the ~£80 for the dealer to do it.....yet.

Couldnt advise on the clicking..

There are a lot of guys on here who have vagcom so where are you??

Newcastle upon Tyne. Are you in Durham mate?

Seriously, a quick braking manouver from any kind of speed will easily show up if it's working mate. Don't be shy now! :)

Well I just bought the car recently and it's by far the fastest thing I've driven! I'm a bit wary of driving like a nutter in it to be honest! :lol: What sensation should I be getting if I slam the brakes on hard?

It should brake nice and straight with no skids, you may feel a slight judder thru the pedal as the ABS kicks in...

Exactly. A judder/pulsing sensation should be felt. And don't worry - you'll live! :)

I'll test it if ya like?! I'm a very careful driver you know :)

It should brake nice and straight with no skids, you may feel a slight judder thru the pedal as the ABS kicks in...

Yeah I gave it a good workout the other day and did notice a slight juddering of the pedal. One thing I have noticed....these cars take a lot of stopping dont they!? :)

Exactly. A judder/pulsing sensation should be felt. And don't worry - you'll live! :)

Ah I would let you mate, but I'm at the other end of the country.

:)

By the way, can anyone tell me why I cant get the search facility to work for "ABS"???

Erm, yeah the search is currently foooked, hopefully will be fixed in the not too distant future...

Ah cheers....had a feeling summat was up with it.

Ah I would let you mate, but I'm at the other end of the country.

:)

By the way, can anyone tell me why I cant get the search facility to work for "ABS"???

You don't ever wanna let me drive your car bud :)

Strangely enough my girlfriend was in Worthing only last week and I almost went with her.....not in the Corrado though. 27mpg on the motorway this thing gets! I'm presuming VR6s are reknowned wallet eaters! :)

Strangely enough my girlfriend was in Worthing only last week and I almost went with her.....not in the Corrado though. 27mpg on the motorway this thing gets! I'm presuming VR6s are reknowned wallet eaters! :)

You made the right decision dude - it sucks down here really :)

And yeah, VRs aren't the cheapest cars around! I'm experimenting now to see which is more expensive to run - VR rado or 3.2 litre Alfa! :)

You made the right decision dude - it sucks down here really :)

And yeah, VRs aren't the cheapest cars around! I'm experimenting now to see which is more expensive to run - VR rado or 3.2 litre Alfa! :)

:) Well she had a good time down there...but the fact that she got completely sozzled at a wedding might have had something to do with it. :)

P.S. 18mpg around the town! I'm sure I've noticed the fuel gauge needle dropping in proportion to the rate the speedometer climbs. :)

my abs light doesnt come on at all and definatly doesnt work, ive tested it the simple way (slammed the brakes on) and yes it did lock up!!

nothing came up on a diagnostics, cleaned the rear sensors (not done the fronts, is that needed?).

so where do i start to find out what the problem is??

Newcastle upon Tyne. Are you in Durham mate?

I know a guy who used to be based in Bill Quay and hes now in Jarrow wholl do it for 20 quid, either that or i know a forum member who may do it for nowt. Ill be home (Durham) in 2 weeks and will have a word if you need...

I know a guy who used to be based in Bill Quay and hes now in Jarrow wholl do it for 20 quid, either that or i know a forum member who may do it for nowt. Ill be home (Durham) in 2 weeks and will have a word if you need...

Cheers, I reckon I will take you up on that. I'll see if I can sort the ABS out myself anyway but would like to get the car fully checked on VAGCOM anyway. I'll get back in touch with you in a couple of weeks.

Wandee - has anyone mentioned that there is a sticky thread in the Engine Topic area for the VAGCOM. Read through that to see where people locally to you own the system.

For clarification; if the light comes on and stays on then yes it is finding a fault. On the later Corrados a funky trick can be done and certain blink codes can be DIY. But VAGCOM is much clearer. Its most likely the sensors are gone - so fingers crossed its a front one and not an expensive rear.

Im surprised you can't induce some locking up in this horrible weather we're having; choose a nice quiet, very FLAT, greasy road and jab on the brake with all your force from as little as 20mph. It will either skid or the abs will work and judder through your poor foot.

Anyhow, get it fixed , as yu need it for the MOT.

8)

Wandee - has anyone mentioned that there is a sticky thread in the Engine Topic area for the VAGCOM. Read through that to see where people locally to you own the system.

For clarification; if the light comes on and stays on then yes it is finding a fault. On the later Corrados a funky trick can be done and certain blink codes can be DIY. But VAGCOM is much clearer. Its most likely the sensors are gone - so fingers crossed its a front one and not an expensive rear.

Im surprised you can't induce some locking up in this horrible weather we're having; choose a nice quiet, very FLAT, greasy road and jab on the brake with all your force from as little as 20mph. It will either skid or the abs will work and judder through your poor foot.

Anyhow, get it fixed , as yu need it for the MOT.

8)

Cheers, I did have a look at the sticky thread but there is no one near me on that list, as I live in Newcastle upon Tyne.