Sign in to follow this  
Philj

Slow 16v + milometer not going up

Now I'm half putting it down to driving a G40 the last few months, and my old 16v had 195 45 15s instead of the 215 40 17s on there now. But it feels so unbelievably gutless, and hesitant! Gonna give it new plugs, leads, rotor, cap, oil n filter, air filter tomorrow, just wondering if theres anything I could do/check while I'm down there.

The brakes need a bleed, clutch runs off the same fluid iirc? Would make sense as to why thats a bit iffy as well

Also, the speedo works fine, but the milometer isnt going up! I'm used to old school cables. :lol: But the speed pickup obviously works, so what the milometer pickup from?

Cheers

Valvers are cr*p in the speed department anyway, and after driving the instant pull of a G40 thats made it all the more noticable! I had my valver serviced 2 weeks ago incl oil, plugs (old ones were way shot) air filter, fuel filter and a new front engine mount fitted due to the old one being torn all the way round. And i can honestly say my car drives exactly like it did pre-service. No smoother, faster or more responsive :( I changed the dizzy cap and rotor arm this year too. Just the leads to go but they look ok.

Yeh, my old one wernt toooo bad though.

Given it a full service, and its alot happier and more responsive.

Speedo though...

Realised its not on an electric sender (was thinking of when I had corrado dials in my old polo, was the later ones with the digital mileage reading)

So hows it work on the early ones? Is it a cable?

If thats broken, why does the speedo still work?

Unfortunately i have know idea mate. I had a Rocco that had the exact same fault but i never bothered fixing it as the speedo still worked. I did notice on the odd occasion though that the numbers on the mileometer tried to turn unsuccessfully, they just made a slight 'click' sound as though something was preventing them from turning.