Sign in to follow this  
pkripper

Wire for battery light on dash, if this wire is not connecte

will this prevent the alternater charging the battery.

I had a new starter motor fitted on Saturday and broke down with a failure of the alternator, but I found this loose blue wire in the starter motor loom that the recovery guy said was the battery light on the dash.

Any help much appreciated.

Matt

I dont know about on the C, but;

My dads old Sierra died in france and it was originally diagnosed with a knacered altenator, but upon the cars return to the UK it was discovered the battery had died due to the bulb for the battery waning light blowing.

Possibly a similar situation?

I dont know about on the C, but;

My dads old Sierra died in france and it was originally diagnosed with a knacered altenator, but upon the cars return to the UK it was discovered the battery had died due to the bulb for the battery waning light blowing.

Possibly a similar situation?

This is my point, I dont want to fit a new alternator when it is the battery light on the dash causing the problem.

Anyone else?

Cheers

i think thats the exicitor wire...it kinda tells the alt when to charge and not

that would cause the non charging you mention

AFAIK, the dash light just detects a DC output and has nothing to do with charging the battery. If the alternator is not spinning or if the diode pack fails, the dash light should come on.

Maybe it was coming on and the previous owner disconnected the blue wire like some folk do with the ABS light to hide a problem?

So is it possible that the blue wire was disconnected by the garage when fitting the starter which in turn prevented the alternator working which in turn caused the car to break down and then towed back to the garage to a have an alternator fitted that the car does nto need because if they connect the wire after fitting the alternator I will never know??

bit of mouthful there.

Can anyone answer the above about the bulb blowing or a break in the Blue wire causing a good alt not too charge??

I'm not getting any charge from the alternator and no battery light on - But, I'm also not seeing the bat light when I turn on the ignition...

I have checked the blue lead is plugged in near the starter and 'brightened' up all the connections, tried another battery (as I ran the other one down) and also a diode pack... Not changed the alt itself yet or checked the LED in the clocks...

ex, cheers mate... just a thought - is that wire / circuit used in Clifford installs??

(just remembered I have the alarm disconnected at the moment and that might be the issue...)