Sign in to follow this  
joby

Budget suspension setup !

I am thinking of tightening up the corrado. Any ideas of a budget set up as im doing up my house at the moment and things are tight, ive seen so many advertised , like billstein, Gmax, jamex, Where do i begin , i was thinking of oe top mounts and Boge turbo gas shocks and eibach springs. the car only realy gets used at the weekend so i wont need anything two impressive, it desperately needs lowering as its running 17s on standard springs, about 35mm higher than standard ride hight :oops: Any ideas would be gratefully recieved, Thanks

Just change the springs and suspension bushes before you change the shocks unless they need doing. you'll be supprised.!!

Gmax are supposed to be quite good for the price. However, like you I'm on a budget and I went for Vipertech shocks and springs. I already had the springs but it's a bit bouncy so have recently purchased the shocks too. Haven't fitted them yet. Hoping to sort this out tomorrow:)

The Vipertech kit is about £200-£300. I got mine from Venom (http://www.venommotorsport.com).

HTH

Phil,

Keep us posted on the Vipertech dropshocks m8. Am thinking about doing the same thing.

BTW, had them on my Sky Rocket. Never lowered a car before, but I was well impressed with them - weren't too harsh, but really tidied up the ride. Bargain too - with a lifetime warranty!!

I was on a budget and spent money on a cheaper D&W setup. BIG mistake. In my opinion they destroyed the car's quality. I ended up spending more money for Koni coilovers.

I would seriously recommend fitting Eibach lowering springs first. They should take your car down 25 - 30mm which is just right for looks.

You can always fit the shocks later, btw many c owners use bilstien.

HTH

I've got the Bilstein Streetline kit on my C - It's basically the OE shocks and progressive rate springs (40 mm lower). It's okay for the price (about £200), but I'm after a better quality ride now, so I'm buying some FK Coilovers through the Yahoo group buy. :flasingsmile:

You can have my old set-up for peanuts (about £50) when I get my FKs - I will be posting them here on the 'for sale' bit when the coilovers are fitted.

Cheers

Mark

2.0 16V

So Bilstein are using OE shocks on lower springs. Does this not mean its a bit bouncy over bumps? The Vipertech ones are 30% uprated so I assume that'll help C owners keep their front spoiler!

Anyway, What does anyone suggest - thinking of Eibach 25-30mm springs with 30% uprated shocks. Anyone got any pics of a C lowered by 25-30mm. All the ones I've seen so far are 40mm. If I were to go with 40mm and uprated shocks, would speed bumps still hurt?

Out of interest, if your looking for a better quality ride, does that mean tighter in corners and thus harder, or softer but still tight in corners? Cuz standard suspension is quite hard, and I don't want to have to fix an interior rattle every week.

Hi Chuck,

Bilstein do 2 different kits - the streetline has uprated and lower springs but OE shocks, and the other one (that I can't remember the name of!) has uprated shocks as well as the uprated springs.

The ride with the streetline kit isn't particularly bouncy - I think this is helped by the kit having progressive springs. It does feel 'harsh' though over bad road surfaces - like the springrate isn't that well suited to the OE damper. This kit has improved the body roll of the C, but the car feels like it hops and skips sometimes on bumps on corners. I don't think I was really expecting much else for the price, and I was really strapped for cash at the time having just shelled out £750 for 17 inch alloys and tyres.

The coilover kit should sort out these problems for me - and of course get the car lower :wink: I will be changing the front spoiler to the 50mm item at the same time :lol:

Cheers

Mark

2.0 16V

Well I didn't manage to get the shocks put on at the weekend but instead I got the flu and sprained my arm :cry:

Hope to do it next weekend. I'll let you all know. Someone on the Yahoo Group said the Vipertechs are good at high speed but a bit firm at lower speeds.

Let you all know soon

Phil

Mark 16v, maybe interested in that streetline kit off you mate, how many miles have you done on it.

Mark 16v, maybe interested in that streetline kit off you mate, how many miles have you done on it.

Done about 6000 miles on it, so I guess it has plenty of life still left in it. :wink:

Cheers

Mark

No probs Joby - getting FKs fitted by Yaash in a couple of weeks, so may have the Bilstein Kit off the car by the time the CCGB AGM comes around - which might be a good time to hand them over if you are up for it?

Cheers

Mark

the ccgb agm is held at gaydon historic motor museum on the m40 i think?

Yea that's right. If you are a member then you should have received a notice about it by now.

It's on March 23rd at 11am (AGM starts at 12). Junction 12 off the M40.

Be there or be a four sided, equal lengthed, shape! :)

Most of the guys from the Yahoo Group (and now this one I expect) arrange a convoy. Last year was an absolute stonker as the convoys on the last stretch of the motorway were a fantastic sight! All you could see were Corrados ... oh and the odd Golf here and there :)