Sign in to follow this  
mbradbrook

Front ABS Sensor Replacement

Afternoon all,

Started the Corrado this moring and the ABS light stayed on. I've checked with VAG Com and there is a fault with the front left hand sensor. I've checked the resistance and it is open circuit so i'm pretty sure that it is the sensor that needs replacing. Anyway i tried to undo the little allen bolt and the head just sheared off....no job is ever straight forward. If i take the disk off is there good access to drill out the bolt from the front and retap?

Incidently, i phoned VW in Bath to get a price for a sensor and bolt. There was no-one in the parts department to take my call so the reception took a message and asked for details of the car:

Me: "its an ABS sensor for a VW Corrado"

Receptionist: "Is that a commercial vehicle?"

I think i'll try Euro or GSF.......................

Cheers

Matt

the front sensors are still available from vw, they are the same part number as used on the mk4 gti's apparently, i just got some last week and apparently gsf are half the price so i'd try them if i were you, my bolts also sheared... an absolute bugger to get out, in the end with the discs off i had to use a chisel and hammer on them to remove the crusty old ones!

the vw parts system still has them listed, just look up the year of the corrado, spec the chassis letter and its under braking elecronic components i think, the pic that comes up shows it clearly for a change!... as well as the bolts that you need which helpfully they didnt carry in stock! but it if yu order them they should be there 2 days later

I should do a How To on this sometime. Get the discs off, you can see much easier.

GSF front sensors are about £25/each from memory. The old sensor is a real pain to get out, I found. Tapped the sensor out from the outside and the plastic innards fell out, leaving a steel sheeth in there still. I then deformed that and took it out with pliers. The new GSF sensor doesnt come with this metal sheeth, but doesnt need it as its such a tight fit. Remember not to hit the new sensor to get it in. I just sanded out the hole with emery to make the hole smooth and rust free.

I just sanded out the hole with emery to make the hole smooth and rust free.

ha ha i wish, it takes a bit longer than just a wipe round wipe some emery cloth for the vw ones to fit, i'd imagine its the same with the gsf ones, you have to go at it for quite a while with emery cloth and i also did it to the sensor housing then made sure everything was lube'd up and slid it in :lol:

All sorted now! Had to chisel out the old sensor and then drill and tap the snapped bolt which wasn't easy. I bought the new sensor from AVS for £21.62 delivered - a German Febi item. This has a plastic casing but was a tight fit so i ended up dremmelling out the corrosion in the hole. It was very satifying when i started the car and the ABS light turned off!

Cheers for the advice guys.

Matt

Thread revival time!

Did you manage to reach the sensor from the front with the disc removed, or does the hub have to come off to drill/retap the allen bolt hole?

Mine's just done the same on the drivers side.

GSF do two sensors, a cheap and a dear one. Dear about £25 cheap £11!!! They seem to always quote the dear one tho!

Andy