Sign in to follow this  
sim0n_parker

heater matrix bolts????

im follwoing the wiki guide to change my heater matrix, the guide is spot on! not to mention be spot on about the glove box being abit of a bugger to remove, and volkswagon dont arf like using alot of bolts to hold things in like the center console etc.

anyway ive got to the point where you unbolt the 3 heater matrix bolts and the plastic thing for the fan in the engine bay.....i cant find them? am i being a fool? i spent 5minutes trying to find them but cant so i thought i put a post up here see who can help whilst i go to the pub and crack on with it tomorrow morning.

ive found it fairly easy upto this point and i would reccomend people to do it themselves insted of sending it to a garage to be done.

help much appreciated. and if you can think of any problems youve had after the stage im at i would appreciate it.

simon

Hi simon,does your car have A/C or not?,if it's equipped with A/C your in for a fun weekend because it's a dash out job(i've done it 3 times now...)The nuts holding the unit to the bulkhead are within the engine bay,two are quite easy to spot,almost inline/opposite the timing belt plastic cover while the third is low down near/in front of the exhaust downpipe,the hardest part is getting the two hose clips off the internal radiator's hoses within the engine bay,under the ign.coil.The nuts have large washers and rubber backing washers that fall off the nuts if they are loose.

HTH.

i found two in the center of the bulkhead one at the top just behind the inlet manifold and one further down towards the exhaust the other one i found was down behind my abs pump. i undone the plastic nut thingy inside tat holds the fan, the fan side of the heater box is all lose and feals like it wants to come out but for some reason the rivers side (right hand drive car i got) seams to be stuck and wont budge what so ever. i decided to put it back for the time being as i have the bently manual coming so will crak on with it then.

I've got the Bently bible and to be honest i say it's quite crap,my opinion of coarse..

Did you disconnect the two heater hoses?,did you also disconnect the metal bracket under the center consol/ashtray?(10mm self locking nuts).

That's all i can remember,does your corrado have A/C?.

hmmm 10mm nuts under the ash tray... the little guide in the wiki didnt mention anything about these... will have a look for these when i do it next, i didnt undo the 2 pipes as the heater box was rock solid and wudnt budge,

im going to devote myself a whole day next time to do this, and do a big proper write up with pics to help people out.

simon

thanks guys

Sorry if i'm misleading you simon,the 10mm nuts fasten a small metal bracket that's located under the cubby hole infront of the gearstick,poke your bonce down in the passenger footwell along with a torch and you'll see the bracket,it's also opposite the small OBD diagnostic plugs.

1 last thing,if you re-use the O/E horrible Vw hose clamps when re-fitting the matrix,break off the small lug on the green clamps,the clamps/clips have a small metal protrusion that limits the travel the clip compresses to,i found that by removing this protrusion the clips opened up further and were easier to install in absence of the special pliers used by Vw for that type of clamp,you'll be able to get the sods on just using long nose pliers.

If you decide to eliminate the clips and use worm drive jobbies be carefull when tightening the clamps,the force of the worm drive clamp(if over tightened) can fracture the internal heater's inlet/outlet plastic stubs,leaving you stranded by the roadside,and having to do the whole bloody job again.

How do i know?...

Yes miguel,you do have do remove the entire dash inorder to fit the bulky A/C unit,pipes,controls etc,etc.

By the way,how are you going to re-charge you 'raddos A/C system now that Freon12 is unobtainable??.

Yes miguel,you do have do remove the entire dash inorder to fit the bulky A/C unit,pipes,controls etc,etc.

By the way,how are you going to re-charge you 'raddos A/C system now that Freon12 is unobtainable??.

That

I removed my 'raddos compleat A/C for the same reason-large intercooler and not being able to find Freon12,which means changing all the system's o-rings at least...