Sign in to follow this  
Dubsingh

Boost return advice

Hi all i have been toying with a few ideas for the boost return. how can i get rid of it and what effects are likely if i do.

i have been thinking about an oil catch tank between the breather and boost return is this worth it?

having rebuilt the engine is it worth getting rid of the boost return pipework?

thanks in advance

I really can't see how ditching the boost return can give an even noticable performance increase even with those twin inlet things. The only reason for doing it i think is for the BOV sound it makes. But if you want it I reckon it's better to get a boost return block off plate that has an attachment for the breather pipe from the head, that way you'll be helping to prolong your charger life. Either that or get some of the charger lube that places like pitstop and g-werks sell.

That's just my opinion though feel free to prove me wrong :)

deleting the boost return just helps to keep the charger running cooler, after a good thrash its still warm but cool enough to touch where as before it would have just as hot as the engine! and keeping things cool is a good thing, and its definitely done no harm. so now it just sucks fresh cool air which all helps with the intake system.

definitely get some spray from g-werks tho, i give it a quick spray once a month to keep it lubed up 8)

I've used one for about a year. In the end the constant whistle bugged me and I got a silencer kit (which improved things drastically).

I got a catch tank initially, but still got a mist of oil vapour in the engine. When I got the silencer that had a feed into it for the oil breather and ISV and that improved things a bit. Here's a picture of the silencer. Drop me a PM if you're interested in it as I was about to put it up for sale along with the plate for blanking off the charger (the second hose from the oil breather should't be there by the way - I just hadn't removed it when I took the picture).

I've gone back to the old recirc system though now (must be getting old, :lol: )

I've gone back to the old recirc system though now (must be getting old, :lol: )

Did you ever feel a performance increase from this mod? I've always doubted it

A: because you have to manually lube the charger.

B: yes you get fresh cool air but the boost return air reduces charger power drain from the engine because the air re-entering has positive pressure.

C: you don't have to lisyen to woooosh everytime you change gear which surely must get embarrassing eventually if not annoying!

Thoughts? :)

Did you ever feel a performance increase from this mod? I've always doubted it

A: because you have to manually lube the charger.

B: yes you get fresh cool air but the boost return air reduces charger power drain from the engine because the air re-entering has positive pressure.

C: you don't have to lisyen to woooosh everytime you change gear which surely must get embarrassing eventually if not annoying!

Thoughts? :)

Personaly I didn't see much difference when I used it. Maybe that's my driving style, but my rolling road tests with and without showed very similar results (a year apart mind you, and different ambient conditons). Each to their own though, maybe someone who likes the sound of the "whoosh" - I definately enjoyed it for a while, or someone keen to not have hot air would love it, and there are definately many who still have them. So as I say, if it floats your boat then use it but don't expect astronomical increases in power...

i think it makes the g sound even more unique, there isnt another car out there that sounds like it.

As for the twin inlet,it is surely impossible for it not to make a power increase? i know have 2 x 3" inlets going into the charger rather than 1

col dnt realise it makes the dump valve type sound might just have to do it for a bit till i get bored of it hahaha. my main reasoning behind doing this was to declutter the bay a lil along with a fw other bits, and to eliminate the heated air from circulating the system. :)

col dnt realise it makes the dump valve type sound might just have to do it for a bit till i get bored of it hahaha. my main reasoning behind doing this was to declutter the bay a lil along with a fw other bits, and to eliminate the heated air from circulating the system. :)

It does declutter things a bit removing it. Word of advice though, if you want to keep your engine bay clean, you'll want some way of getting the output from the bottom of the throttle body, and the ISV and oil breather out of the engine bay or through a filter, otherwise you'll end up with a nice film of oil over everything.

(Thread resurrection?)

Has anyone ever considered (or fitted) a second stock intercooler between the boost return outlet and the charger, perhaps fitted on the opposite side of the car to the original unit :?:

Figured that it might give a couple of benefits:

i) boost is still recirculated so off-throttle driving is still efficient, mpg-wise, because there's less drag on the engine from the charger when the charger is not contributing to the engine

ii) the recirculated boost goes through two intercoolers (original one after the charger, and the recirc unit just before the air re-enters the charger) so stays cooler than usual (so does the charger)

iii) sudden 'enthusiastic' driving would benefit from cool intake air that's not being heat-soaked by a hot(ter) charger, compared to stock :D

Downsides are:

i) makes the engine bay more 'cluttered' :roll:

ii) might be a lot of pain (time/cost etc.) for relatively little gain :(

iii) would require some 'custom' (read 'homemade') piping and a second intercooler, all of which has the possibility of developing a leak... :x

I wonder how much hotter the air gets from being compressed, and how much heat is picked up from hot inlet manifold/black plastic boost pipes in a hot engine bay etc... Maybe better insulation of the boost pipework would give better results than my ghetto twin intercooler idea?! :lol:

Thoughts/opinions on a postcard please...

Interesting idea. You would never see the extra power on a rolling road of course but it could potentially improve part throttle response and reduce pinking on hot days in stop start traffic like water injection. Fit a big intercooler first as it makes a big difference to the engines character. I'm not a fan of boost return deletion but this sounds like a good idea but the cost of development might make it a bad idea.

Fit a big intercooler first as it makes a big difference to the engines character.

Last time I looked, a bigger intercooler would cost about £4-500, depending on where you sourced it and if you fitted it yourself. Perhaps there are lower-cost options now...

Not keen on the idea of altering the structural parts of the car to make space for a large FMIC, but many people have done it, so it can't be that unsafe, right? :scratch:

its normally the towing eye that is the sacrificial part for a big intercooler upgrade, well worth it though!