Sign in to follow this  
corradog60stage4

Ghetto mod to streamline airflow to intercooler on my C.

remove the wheel liner to expose the hoses/tubes to install some new clamps.

Looking at the stock setup it seems there is a funnel that channels air from outside through the intercooler and then it hits the wheel liner. Seeing that autotech made some sort of vent for the 1.8T so the flow of air does not get backed up. Since my FMIC looked bleek as I need to hack 80% the rebar. I decided to do my own thing using a metal vent I had lying around. size of the metal vent was not the greatest but it managed to fit okay. The slats on the vent are angled 45 degrees so that road crap from the wheel doesn;t shoot through to the intercoolers backside but still allowed the air flow to pass. Even though the opening is not really big this theoretically should lower the temps of air passing the cooler thus enhancing performance as opposed to no opening.

I mocked it up with some longer bolts I had lying around to see how it would look and then after made a trick to home depot to get much shorter nuts and bolts to finish off.

This is not a DIY so here is my plethora of ghetto pics with no step by step procedures. :lol:

e8b351c0.jpg

e8b351a0.jpg

e8b35170.jpg

e8b3513a.jpg

e8b350fb.jpg

e8b35444.jpg

e8b35410.jpg

e8b353df.jpg

e8b34e8f.jpg

e8b35382.jpg

e8b3534a.jpg

e8b35319.jpg

e8b352d7.jpg

e8b3528b.jpg

:lol:

Good work fella! :wink:

I like the homemade improvements as long as: a) they have a valid technical reason/chance of performance improvement, and b) they aren't too bodgy in the aesthetics department...

Yours looks good on both counts (it helps that no-one is likely to look inside the wheel arch!) :)

I plan on doing some work on my G60 this long weekend, and might just look for a suitable vent in the local DIY shop...

Vive le barn! :D

have a look at some different VW's in scrappy's, some allready have vents in that possition, you could cut it out and screw or rivot it in or maybe even get it plastic welded in.

Mitsi Evos have something that looks almost exactly the same at that for venting the oil cooler, sits on the other side of the car though. IF you could get hold of an arch liner you might be able to rig something up but IIRC the Evo one is made of a lot thinner material so plastic welding might be tricky.

Don't worry about your English - we understand the meaning :wink:

But... I have to ask - what is the 'rebar' that you would have to hack to install the FMIC? :?

Don't worry about your English - we understand the meaning :wink:

But... I have to ask - what is the 'rebar' that you would have to hack to install the FMIC? :?

We call the bumper support "rebar". the FMIC is kinda big and long so the bumper support is definitely in the way. The only way to fit it is to cut it so the FMIC clears. If you have a frontal collision then say bye bye.

thats why you dont have frontal collisions... make sure you have really good brakes before cutting your front bar

btw you can fit an FMIC without cutting rebar, just remove your AC system ;-)

Ive got my FMIC and my FMOC without AC and I have no bumper clearance issues. I will be installing a custom condenser when I feel the need for my AC again. (took a lot of radiator mount support modifications though)

or you can get a FMIC that is narrow enough to lay down on the grill part of the bumper (plastic grill that always brakes). Just mount it to the Power steering cooler line.

plenty of good ways to do it =-)

PS the condenser will probably go where the old intercooler was...