Sign in to follow this  
sim0n_parker

abs light came on PROBLEM HELP!

pulld up at the shop turnd of, got back into it and went to drive of and noticed the abs light didnt go out. it stays on, unfortuently i havnt got access to the 2x2 obd pin connecter, is there another way of checking the system? can i check for resitance? and what shouold the resistance read? also i just checkd n gsf website for a rogh price for a sensor and they only list fronts, do the corrados only have front sensors?

the cars a 1992 K reg G60

thanks

GSF do some nice cheap fronts now but there also rears which they also sell - more expensive tho as the come with loom attached - also look on VWspares...

You can compare resistance (unplug at top of suspension turrets and under rear seats) - see if one is different to the rest...

Also could be just some crud stuck to the sensor - worth taking to a jetwash every so often!

so if i compare resistance do i have to have the car jackd up on the sensor im checking and spin the wheel slightly?

also electrics kind of confuse me, do i want high resistance or low resistance? can you give me some sort of figure to look for if the sensor is ok? lol sorry just resistance confuses me a little bit

chears

simon

Pretty sure this has been discussed before. Basically when you connect your ohmeter across the terminals of the sensor, you should see 1500-3000 ohms. Anything significantly lower means short circuit, significantly higher means open circuit. Either way you need to replace the sensor.

No need to jack the car up, spin the wheels, or anything like that. There's no way you could interpret the signals from the sensor using a hand-held instrument anyway (except perhaps an oscilloscope, and you don't sound like the type who has one of those kicking about .. ).

done the test with a multimeter on 2k ohms setting and got these results:

pasanger rear: 1.05

drivers rear: 1.03

passangers front: 1.09

but the drivers front wouldnt register on this setting, kept reading 1. which is what the multimeter reads as standerd untill you connect it up etc.

however i changed the setting on the multimeter to 2M and the drivers front registerd 900 and carryd on climbing up to 1240, 1343, 1400 etc etc and carryd on rising,

am i correct in saying that the fault lies in the drivers front sensor?

thanks

again

simon

am i correct in saying that the fault lies in the drivers front sensor?

Sounds reasonable, yes.

fitted my new sensors to the drivers front after i plugd it in to a machine and it instructed this side.

fitted te new one. spot on! light came on for a few seconds brake pedal pulsd slightly then light went out. went down the road just as i was about to come to a stop (under light braking not slamming brakes on) the brtake pedal started pulsing and the abs activated. the abs activates all the time just as im about to stop or driving at crawling speed, on the way home from work the abs light then came on at about 20mph and stayed lit untill i turned the car of and re started. ? what do you think?

really scratching my head over this one

did you compare both front ABS set ups?

who fitted the new sensor?

You saw that the new sensors was housed behind the wheel. The face of the new sensor has to be in perfect position*, not too close and not too far away from the spinning ring that has holes in it. Also check the the ring that spins is not bent, broken, or the holes are clogged up with dirt.

* I mention this because getting the NEW GSF sensor in can be a bit of a pig. Maybe its not in properly.

Also check the wires are connected correctly - remove and put back in. Also check pads are sat straight onto the disc, the disc is straight, etc etc.

And if you plugged in before - what into? Into VAG-COM ? ..... then plug in again.

I have just done the multimeter check on my ABS.

The Drivers front was reading 1 on the meter, meaning that I have a short circuit I think. I reached round behind the wheel and what i think was the sensor was loose and with hardly any force it came away in my hand.... :?

I presume this isnt normal....

Should there be a screw or bolt in there? does anyone know what size it is? I need to pick one up at work tomorrow and see if I can get it fixed before the w/end.

Cheers,

Dan