Sign in to follow this  
Supercharged

Rear brake / axle question

Hi,

In the middle of doing rear discs and pads atm on my TDI - got it all stripped down and one of the wheel bearings (1 year old GSF w4nk) basically fell apart and the other one had way too much play...

I am having problems with the side that nearly fell apart - the inside pad had delaminated and also written off the disc (they needed changing tho) - there is some light scoring to the part of the stub axle nearest to the thread for the nut... is this ok? I think I can get away with it...

But my main worry is, on this side again, there was no metal sheild over the stub axle bolts, I have 2 spares but one i have already damaged trying to get it on becuase of corrosion i think and after cleaning it the second one is very tight and looks like it will bend if i use any more force...

Are these needed?? they seem to sit betwween the axle and the plastic dust sheild of the bearing so i think they are...

If i miss it out again will the bearing not have anything to sit against? - maybe why the first one failed so badly? -

Bit miffed as these bearings were fitted by Stealth and also one of the carrier/pad clips on the same side was also not present - Vince did worn me at the time that the wheel bearings would not last but it was all they could get (I didn't order them, just they found the Febi ones fitted 2 years before (!!) were shot when coing a MK4 rear caliper upgrade...

The part I am on about is 'cover ring' in the Bentley and the collar should be 9.5mm away from the splash sheild...

I know the ring you are talking about, it partially covers the 4 stubble axle bolt heads, a kind of light goldish brass in colour?

They butt up to the seal, and I think their purpose is to prevent stones and things getting trapped and ripping the seal to peices. Also acts as a splash guard to deflect water.

It's a good idea to use them, they're not expensive from the dub ya. Old ones are a pain to remove though and don't whack em on too hard as they fold over.

Cheers kev - Think i've sorted it now after a bit of dremmeling... at first I thought they could also be to stop the seal popping out of the disc but don't sit close enough to it to prevent this - as long as they're not overpacked with grease they should be fine anyways...

I've painted everything and just going to fit the new stuff, got held up as i didn't have special tool 128760-73 to press the big bearings in but dad brought home a nice bit of 50mm scaffold cut on a bandsaw :lol:

Hows the BV head???