Sign in to follow this  
yogiontour

Engine water level dropping - What to check for?

Bought a new rado the other day, supposedly with 'No problems'...It runs fine, pulls like a train and I really do love it, however the water temp sensor light flashes on every so often and goes away when I fill the coolant up.

All temps are running fine.

I

Check the hose behind the cylinder head, underneath the cable tidies. It's usually the first one to go on you. It's also usually triggered by a sloppy engine mount - usually the gearbox one.

Checked the gearbox mount and coolant hose all seems fine...

It looses about half a litre every hundred miles...

It makes me loose sleep that half a litre...

Thermostat housing on the end of the head, the rad hoses go to it, not easy to spot the leak from it. look toward the starter motor for water.

Header tank cap could be tired as well, only £8 + VAT ish from the dealer, so worthwhile picking up.

Nice!

Header tank cap sounds like a plan as the thermo was done a year back....and this one is a bit on the tired side..

God i love owning a corrado, its fast, it looks cool and someone knows something about every fault it has!

Cheers guys! will try that!

I was going to suggest thermostat housing, i took mine off to replace the thermostat the other day and the housing basically fell apart in my hands! If it just had the stat changed that doesnt mean it had the housing changed so still worth checking imo. Also if your expansion tank cap is black go to vw and order a newer blue one.