Sign in to follow this  
Andyroo

Suspension parts help

Booked my car in with the local mechanic to get the top mounts and ball joints done, so I said i'd get the parts to save him a job.

Now, i've been on GSF and Eurocar parts and there seems to be a price difference and was just wondering if anyone new what the difference actually was.

I'm a bit green when it comes to mechanicals so please be gentle!

I'm assuming I need 2 ball joints and 4 top mounts? So will I need 4 x Strut Top Mounting Kit or just the top mounts themselves. Do i need to get the Strut Top Bearings too? Also, I'm assuming the difference in price means difference in quality, so am I better going for the more expensive mounts (made by LEMFOERDER) at about 9 quid each, or the cheaper ones for a fiver?

Any help would be great

Cheers

Andy

Nice one, will do.

So I don't look like a d*ck at the parts place, will I need to get the top mount kit, or bearings or just the mounts themselves and is that x4?

Cheers

I'm sure made a couple of posts a while back which I think may have included part numbers and etka diagrams for top mounts. Sorry I can't be bothered finding them but it's been a hard day and I'm shattered but there's a start for you.

Ball joint x 2 plus, for each side, 3 bolts and a plate they go into plus the upper nut and bolt (or just a nut on a VR6)

Top mounts - I assumed you were just doing the front pair as the rears don't wear as much altho I would still change these if doing the rear shocks etc...

Depending on what year car you will just need 2 top mounts to do the fronts or (if it's the VR6/Mk3 style setup) then you need to order a rubber mount and a seperate bearing (per side)

You could also buy new nuts and bolts for the front shocks (2 per side)

Hope this helps!