Sign in to follow this  
snattrass

Advice pls: best affordable option to lower this:

I recently bought it and as you'll see am getting altitude sickness on it as it stands:

The first link shows it with it's current wheels tyres on:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=60874&p=722685#p722685

This link shows it b4 thw wheels were changed:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=37498&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15

Want to reduce it using a more affordable option for various financially restricting reasons.

I like the idea of coilovers giving final height tweaking ability but they're generally cost a bit more. I've also been playing with the idea of just putting some eibach sports springs on the standard struts and then when they go just replacethe whole thing but can't make up my mind. There's also some J-TEC struts and springs on ebay for 150 or so. I know it's anathema to the more dedicated rado enthusiasts but there must be more affordable ways of doing it while still giving reasonable / better ride / handling performance and reduced ride height.

Cheers, Simon.

If you want all 3 bases covered you def need more than springs.

Remember you get what you pay for with suspension.

Try Weitec fixed height/damping platforms.

must say i been trying to get the same answers, had to stick to a budget and ended up with Weitec Ultra GT kit, Springs and shocks, not driven car much since, but it feels really good compared to before, still a comfy ride but nice and stiff round the bends

If you want all 3 bases covered you def need more than springs.

Remember you get what you pay for with suspension.

Try Weitec fixed height/damping platforms.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head here, Weitecs go highly recommended from all the guys i know who have them..

Worth spending the money though as cheap = poor in suspension...

Where's the best place to get these Weitec's then? Best deal? Can you tweak the ride height after installation.

Cheers, simon.

i ordered mine from Gwerks, they were very helpful and as good a price as everyone else, all came on time and i had no problems with anything

http://www.g-werks.com/Site/

they aren't adjustable, depending on how much you spend.

what year is your corrado, i should really read the top bit of this thread properly :lol:

i think just 40mm would look alright on that.

you may want more though, they do the Hicon GT, for £475, lowers from 40-70mm

I too have the Weitec stuff on my valver and can't recommend them enough. got mine from Halfords as my good lady wife works there for a fantastic £200 notes (With discount for staff) and arrived quick sharp.

I went for a sensible 40mm drop and the ride is perfect for a budget set up and sorted my very knackered and tired suspension. Also the plates on the rear shocks appear to be adjustable if thats any help.

Cheapest way possible is to cut the springs down.

Have a read of this month's PPC (Practical Performance Car) and get all your fears about it dispelled.

I didn't realise this until I read the peice, but cutting the coils off does actually increase spring rate, so whilst lowering the C of G, you are also stiffening the ride too. As long as you file a flat into the last coil after you do the cutting, it will locate in the spring seat properly and be perfectly safe.

Remember to trim the bumpstops down a bit if you do that.

Certainly worth trying for the cost of a couple of hacksaw blades!

Just fitted PI springs and it looks great just right. (Will get some pix up when I can). Should I have trimmed the bump stops while I was at it?

I'll sort out some new sports shocks when I get the chance.

I've always wondered exactly what danger I was In cutting the springs down on my first car, probably none then, all I did was cut one coil off, 20mm or so lower and I never had any problems with it.

Not to put a dmaper on the convo (Man, I really do suck!) but I have weitec shocks all round and allthough I find the ride superb there not that old and it appears as if the rear nearside one is already leaking oil....

Maybey im just special!

gas shocks still use oil going through a little hole to dampen, its just kept under pressure by a gas charge which apparently stops cavitation

weitecs have a 2 year warranty, so maybe worth a check...

pb