Sign in to follow this  
oilman

Answers From The Oil Expert

But not from us this time!

We get asked many oil related questions every day and decided to put some of the most frequently asked ones to an Oil Expert called John Rowland. He has been the Chief R&D Chemist for Fuchs/Silkolene for many years and previously developed ahead of their time ester based oils for the RR Jet industry. What he doesn

Good info as always 8)

Which would be thickest at 100 degrees?

Motul Synergie 15/50W @ 19.5 mm2

Silkolene 10/50W @ 18.7 CST.

I have a question - what is so special about the spec of the PD TDI oil - 505 01 I think (for fixed servicing)

And what do you recommend considering I am changing the oil at 5k intervals at present using the proper VAG stuff...

I think it's do with extended servicing mate..... keeping the crap suspended in the oil for longer periods....or something :lol:

Do the TDIs have oil condition sensors?

If you change at 5K, I'd just use the normal Quantum silver mate, or Motul Synergie 10/40W as it has all the VW and API approvals.

Good info as always 8)

Which would be thickest at 100 degrees?

Motul Synergie 15/50W @ 19.5 mm2

Silkolene 10/50W @ 18.7 CST.

They are pretty similar at 100degc.

Cheers

Guy.

I have a question - what is so special about the spec of the PD TDI oil - 505 01 I think (for fixed servicing)

And what do you recommend considering I am changing the oil at 5k intervals at present using the proper VAG stuff...

Good question, I have a 150bhp PD unit and decided to do some digging.

Would you believe that most VW505.01 oils are infact mineral based. Their secret lies in the viscosity index improvers and the anti wear additives wich are very high spec to cope with the pressure the pd unit puts on the oil, the oil needs to stay in grade. A regular 5w-40 synthetic wont have such high quality polymors and additives thus dont meet the spec and may not be upto the job.

The 506.01 is the spec for PD on longlife service, these have the same tough additives and polymors plus a synthetic based stock so they can go the distance of longlife.

Cheers

Guy.