Sign in to follow this  
.A.N.T.

Wheel bearing noise

Could someone just confirm what a failing wheel bearing sounds like...?

Every time I turn right there is a squeaking noise, like that of rubber twisting. Is that a wheel bearing on it's way out???

Also, the track control arm, or wishbone, has a little bit of play in it. The wheel moves a few mm when you push/pull it at 9 and 3 o'clock. I take it there shouldn't be any play in it? It's def where the front of the wishbone joins the subframe. the wishbone is brand new from VW and came with the rubbers in...? I take it this is wrong....?

A wheel bearing on its way out will sound like a droning noise. It should be pretty easy to spot as the drone will change pitch with the speed you are goin and whether you are in gear or not.

If its rear wheel bearing the drone can disappear/reduce when you go round a corner in the same direction to the side affected

Why would being in gear make any difference? as the wheels are still turning at the same speeds

It's a squeaking noise rather than a droning... A slight right turn is ok, but anything more and it squeals and squeaks like rubber that is pushed tightly against metal sliding slightly. It's proper embarrassing tho...

I think there was a slight drone in there, so I'm replacing the bearings this weekend. Maybe this will sort it (I hope so as I've had thewishbone off and greased up all the rubbers on there with no effect...)

It's not the power steering pump squealing, is it?

That's the most likely if it's squealing when you turn the wheel.

Though this would get worse if you're standing still...

Can't imagine the wheel bearings would squeal though, under any circumstances. You might, coincidentally, improve things just by stripping and reassembling those components if there *is* something else in there.

Just out of interest, have you changed your power steering drive belt at any stage? This could cause the squeeking you are talking about if it's worn or just simply not tight enough... :?

Sorry if that is a silly question to you, there's no way of knowing a persons tech level until you ask! 8)

*EDIT* ooh, you sod, Dr_mat, you just beat me! :roll: :lol: Great minds and all that! :lol:

My drivers side front bearing is droning (being replaced next week) and I have a slight squeak from the brakes that goes when they are applied lightly. I'm pretty confident it is the "new disks on dirty mounts" problem suggested elsewhere in the forum (and hopefully not a warped disk) as the guy I bought it from had the brakes done a short while ago.

Not sure if this helps at all but a bearing going definitely "drones".

Another tell-tale sign of a slipping power steering belt is that it gets worse in the wet.

Ay up people,

If have just had a rear wheel bearing replaced on my C and the noise is like what most of you have described a kind of 'wheering' noise if you like. It was worse at low speeds, you could realy hear it, but did get slightly better, not much, with increased speeds. In addition, i have been told that the wish bone bush has worn out and that has given a little bit of squeeking sound so that could be it. I wil let you know if the squeeking stops when it has been done

8) :shock: