Sign in to follow this  
MK1Campaign

Anyone with ETKA? Need VR6 steering info

My VR needs a new steering rack and they are £481 from VAG. Ive tried GSF but they dont list one. I spoke to a guy in the parts dept at VW and he said Golf VR6 and Corrado VR6 racks have the same part number. You can buy a Golf VR rack from GSF so thats nearly sorted the problem. The only thing is now ive spoken to Vince at Stealth and hes sure the two racks are different?

Could anyone have a look on ETKA and check for me?

My ETKA shows two types of PAS for the Golf, "TRW" and "ZF". Only the TRW is specifically listed for rhd VR6. Corrado rhd VR6 shows one type, also TRW and with same part number. HTH.

Golf VR6: 1H2 422 061A

Corrado VR6: 1H2 422 061A

I bought a spare golf VR6 rack some time ago and it's identical to the Corrado 16v one I have (TRW) bar the different length track rods, so I'm pretty sure the part numbers are only different between 4 cyl and 6 cyl cars (post 91) as they come complete with rods.

You could even fit a G60 or 1.8 16v rack to a VR providing you swapped the UJ to an earlier one as the racks all changes from 36 to 22 spline input shafts post 91.

Just to prove the point James Renshaw fitted a SEAT ibiza (golf/polo based running gear) 16v rack to a VR6 Corrado too.

Remember that the INNER steering arms are longer on the Corrado VR6 ZF steering rack when compared to a TRW G60 rack,the VR arms also have a machined shoulder that won't sit flush when swapped over,I did the conversion and have had no problems since,just remember to apply thread lock to the arms before tightening.

You'll also have to use the same ZF PS.pump and HP pipe as the G60 and VR pipes/pumps differ.

If your running 205/50/15 rubber they will rub on the front inner arches slightly on full lock,195/50/15 tyres are fine.

I phoned GSF but they dont list a rack for the VR6. I phoned back a few days later with the VW part number and low and behold they have three on the shelf. £210+vat. Work that one out????

I phoned GSF but they dont list a rack for the VR6. I phoned back a few days later with the VW part number and low and behold they have three on the shelf. £210+vat. Work that one out????

hi,

Im breaking a N reg vr6 if you want the rack off of this?