Sign in to follow this  
Chris VR6nos

Cross drilled discs

Some time ago there was a conversation about sinusoidal cross drilled discs.

i'm wondering what price people are paying for discs like these.

My friend has a precision engineering company and is offering me a situation that allows me to custom produce these discs with whatever configuration holes you require.

I'll mention more about this next time i'm on here but the main thing is to research the price and get things going.

Chris

are you looking to drill for looks or performance gains as i've heard many poeople remark that the cooling benifits of drilling a disc for road use are slim and also when you remove material you reduce the breaking surface, in theory making them inferior

another thing to bear in mind that if you cross drill a pre cast disk you seriously reduce the strength of the metal, and they are prone to cracking, i think a few people on here had this with zimmerman discs as thats how they are drilled i think (someone please confirm) , the only way to ensure a disc is as strong as a non drilled is to introduce the 'drilled' areas in the casting process like porsche do with their discs, although u appreciate theres no way of doing this yourself... sorry to be all doom and gloom!

afaik what you have said is true, they have to be added in the cast and cant just be added afterwards or you run the risk of the disc splitting at high temperatures. i know that they dont make masses of difference on the road but they do look much better than a boring standard disc, so i for one will be getting drilled/grooved discs :p :D

not wanting to get technical about it but my breaks are impressive and yes there are a couple of tiny hair line cracke a couple of mills long but i drive it like it's stolen when the mood takes me and do 100 to 300 miles a day and they are so impressive and have resuced fade over lots i've experienced and these are 280mm discs.

I was just seeing if there was interest in this service and don't want to get an anorak debate going so i'll finish there.

Chris