Sign in to follow this  
joebrent

help!!!...my radiator fans gone mental!!!

evening all........every time i turn on the ignition the radiator fan comes on straight away? i have replaced the switch but it has not cured the problem :cry:

any ideas why it is doing this? anyone else had this problem??

Two switches for the fan. Thermoswitch in the radiator (which I assume is the one you changed) switches on when the coolant temp is high, and one that switches on when the engine bay temp is high (on the front left side of the head, by the alternator bracket/engine lift point (as I recall) - black and yellow with 1 spade connector)

Does it still do it when you disconnect the switch. If so check the other sensor, If this is earthing it will turn the fan on.

Failing that check out the fan loom. Its simply a conector to power, a connector to the thermoswitch, and a connector to the fan.

Maybe a silly question, but did you put the connector onto the switch the right way - I've found several times with GSF/ECP parts that the connectors don't match.

Your engine temp is not getting above 80 probably due to the fan being on constantly (tho it should really get closer to 90 unless theres another problem - thermostat).

Play around with these connectors, you should soon work out whats not working :D

EDIT: BTW as regards your last post if your fans on all the time it will soon wreck a bearing - happened me, in rush hour, at roadworks...

hello mate, :D

i had exactly the same problem on my car!

basically it sounds like you have a stuck relay that means as soon as you give the car power by turning the key the fan starts up. with mine it started like yours at first and then started to do it even when the ignition was off which in turn caused the barings in the fan to seize and burnt the motor out on the fan which meant that the whole fan had to be replaced as the motor is an integral part.

sort the relay and then check if you still get the problem. if you dont get it after replacing the relay make sure you also run the car on tick over until the engine gets hot just to check that the fan kicks in otherwise if the fan doesn't kick in when the relay is sorted it may have already bug*ered the fan and could cause the engine to overheat when you drive it!

let me know if that sorts it! :wink: