Sign in to follow this  
flusted

can a headgasket leak outwards?

can a headgasket leak outwards? as my mates 1.4 gold mk3 has an oil leak right where the headgasket is but i told him it was the rockker cover leaking but he swears its the head gasket.

Surely its impossible for a head gasket to leak from an oil way all the way to the outside edge of the head?

Its quite common on some cars, my mates scirocco did it on the rear of the engine on the pulley end, his mk2 golf did it and my g60 was starting to leak out towards the edge when the headgasket blew between a waterway and a cylinder.

Perfectly possible for on oilway to leak, its just another port in the head/block. They are normally sleeved though but leaking is merely less likely than impossible. Your mate needs to clean the area up, leave it a while then re-examine it, to remove the possiblility that the rocker gasket is leaking and oil is collecting lower down.

the old polo 1050cc and 1.3 engines were really bad for that, used to leak from front left corner of block/head straight onto the alternator, it was a weak spot where the main oil supply feed came up through the block.

hes had the job done by a garage and paid £300 for rebuild head and gasket, but i thought i coulda fixed it for £10 with a new rocker cover gasket