Sign in to follow this  
Jon_vr6

Cooling problem

Right as you may or may not know i changed my thermo housing and crack pipe last week all worked fine fans came on just below 110 Oc which i hear is normal! today im coming back from work only 5 miles ish and just happened to glance at the water temp and it was really high considering id only been in the car about 5 mins it was at 100 Oc so got home left it running and where the fans used to kick in at 110 ish they now dont it gets up to 120 ish and then fans kick in which i would imagine is stage 3 fan and the coolant warning light flashes can someone please explain whats going on am i missing something???

Cheers

Jon

Sounds like a jammed thermostat, as in the closed variety and hot water isn't leaving the head. Since speed 3 is detected by the black sender in the stat housing, a good test would be to see cold the radiator is.....

If not that, maybe some kind of horrendously bad air lock somewhere.

1. The top and bottom hoses are hot

2. Must be the last fan speed stage 3 works

3. The fan came on at 110 when i tested it last friday and no flashing coolant light then

4. Car heating works on 1-4 hot and cold!

Just seems to keep going hotter then once the light started flashing i switched off! The thermostat is a brand new low temp one from awesome!

Why when you fix one problem (the coolant leak i had) does something else come along!! :(

Well you'll just have to go through systematically checking everything.... and I'd start by checking for air locks personally....

is my themostat alright then with the top and bottom rad hoses being hot ?? Also how would an airlock stop the fans coming on??

To stop the fans coming on id be checking the fuses in the control box - there are 3

possibility that the thermoswitch in radiator is shot - to test short the terminals in the cable and see if they work, if it starts then the switch is dud.

Otherwise it could be the fan motor - run a lead to earth from the negative terminal of the motor and go round each other terminal with a 12v supply, should start each stage.

As for it being so hot, must be an airlock, run the car up to temp with the header tank cap off and 'massage' top and bottom hoses to encourage it to bugger off..

Cheers for the advice guys will have a look tomorrow bloody cars who'd have em lol! If its the fuses where can i get new ones??

Right no air lock as i thought! When i filled the coolant i filled from the top hose then once there was some in the coolant reservoir i filled from there! Top hose gets warm first then after bwt 10-15mins the bottom hose starts to warm up! So to me its either

1. the fuses for the fan

2. the thermoswitch

I used the same sensors when i changed the thermo housing as they where in good condition would this make any difference with them being the old ones and not new ones??

Think im going to ring a garage near to me on monday as i really cant be arsed checking this stuff myself electrics is something i know fook all about! Should i just ask them to check them two items above ??? And after last weeks pain in the arse changing the housing etc i think this time i need to pass the buck onto someone else!