Sign in to follow this  
mbaker8v

Gear change bushes

I have quite a lot of side to side play in the gear stick in first and second. My local VW garage says its teh bushes in the gear change linkage on top of the gearbox that are the problem. Anyone know how hard they are to change, is there a How To written up anywhere and how much the bits cost??

Cheers,

Mark

Me and VR6 South did these on my Golf and Jetta recently, think the kit is about 15 quid from GSF or Europarts, it is a bit fiddly, better to have 2 pairs of hands at some stage and get the alignment tool. It makes a massive difference..

The guide we followed was on club GTI forum and was spot on, have a look on there..

It's quite different to the 020 linkages I'm afraid...

Tekara has recently done his bushes I believe, it appearas that you need to take the shift mech out of the car from below which involves removing the exhaust to do the gear lever bushings, then there are a couple of parts on the shift tower which the cables connect to that can be changed.

You might also need to change the bushes in the bottom of the gearbox that the selector tower fits into.

I'd make sure that the play is definitely in the linkage though... Get a mate to move the lever around whilst you look at the shift tower under the bonnet. This play could come from the selectors in the gearbox themselves, especially if you rest your hand on the lever when you drive.

HTH.

Tom

Me and VR6 South did these on my Golf and Jetta recently, think the kit is about 15 quid from GSF or Europarts, it is a bit fiddly, better to have 2 pairs of hands at some stage and get the alignment tool. It makes a massive difference..

The guide we followed was on club GTI forum and was spot on, have a look on there..

you can buy the parts for the gearlever end from VAG, not GSF AFAIK, pain as you have to take the gearlever assembly out, by either removing the exhaust and doing it from underneath or dremmelling the centre tunnel a bit to get clearance to do it inside the car.

I think the GSF parts are for the rod change mk2 box, sounds like that's what you mean Goldie as you said 'Golf and Jetta' ?

The box end on the 02A cable change corrado/passat box is not the best design, and most of the parts will be hideously expensive from VW as it involves the whole shift tower, look for a late passat (93-96) or corrado one or possible a mk3 one from a S/H box, I've bought a couple recently for around 25 quid, just the selector tower, they vary from one year to the next as VW tried to improve them, eventually they sort of started from scratch and designed the mk4 system which would be more work to fit but possible.

So what bushes are required to do a 1995 VR6 corrado on the gear box end? wheres the best place to get them? how much are they likely to be? can you get them as a kit? and are they fairly easy to fit or do you need the special VW tools?

Cheers, Adam