Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyVR6

Aftermarket air filters

Hi chaps,

I've got a standard VR6 and I was toying with the idea of adding some sort of performance air filter, I realise that this won't give me crazy 'MaxPower' style bhp...however, being the kid I am, I'm sure I'd like the noise :wink:

Anyone had any experience of adding such a filter?

Ive tried all sorts.... KnN cone filter always brings a smile with its induction noise.

Ive also found improved throttle response using a cone filter.

Ive even tried a cone filter inside a standard airbox! one of my 'moments' thinking this would provide cooler air...... best thing to do (IMO) is to remove or relocate the cabon canister and drop the cone filter in the big hole it leaves.

The only filter I've found to offer tangible differences on the VR6 is the BMC CDA, WITHOUT the cold air pipe attached. Awesome filters. Worth the cash.

Being contained within a housing keeps it clean for a lot longer than an exposed element too, aswell as reducing intake temps slightly.

What you might want to consider is simply replacing the element inside your airbox with a K&N panel filter. You get a nice increase in "grumble" from the front, albeit not as much as with a full induction kit, but you also get a few bhp out of it as well. It's certainly a nice way to find out if you want to go down that path, or to improve the engine noise without going barmy about it.

Other than that I've used both a K&N 57i, a drilled OEM airbox (with K&N panel filter), and a CDA filter at one time or another. All decent enough, all delightful in thier own ways (the loudest one was the drilled airbox solution)

HTH

John

The Ram Air Filter is the only one as far as i am concerned. :)

Slightly louder than the K & N at idle, but awesome over 3000 revs.

when i saw the topic i thought i might answer a question i was wanting to ask aswell, but everyone has said different lol, i was looking at K&N either panel filter or Cone, and BMC. altho the K&N is cheaper is it worth paying the extra for the BMC (and not just for the fancy Carbon Fibre effort) :p or does it actually give better response and more bhp( i kno its minute at the most, but every little helps). Any answers would be helpful :p to both of us by the way it looks!

when i saw the topic i thought i might answer a question i was wanting to ask aswell, but everyone has said different lol, i was looking at K&N either panel filter or Cone, and BMC. altho the K&N is cheaper is it worth paying the extra for the BMC (and not just for the fancy Carbon Fibre effort) :p or does it actually give better response and more bhp( i kno its minute at the most, but every little helps). Any answers would be helpful :p to both of us by the way it looks!

Frankly Phil when a car already has the best part of 200bhp in the front you're hardly going to notice the difference performance wise. Because of all the noise they make it will seem a lot quicker but that's mostly all it is. Of course if you start doing other bits of the engine as well then having the filter helps.

As an alternative you might also want to look into the Pipercross VR6 kit (if it's still available) as it's all finished in nice shiny aluminium. They're not that common, but make a similar noise to the RamAir as they both have a sort of vortex-swirl piece in them to pre-swirl the are as it goes into the engine (or that's what the blurb used to say)

HTH

John