Sign in to follow this  
MattWilde

Big spec G60 build, ideas/experience help please

Hi everyone,

My poor G60 engine has finally given up the ghost so it's now time to spend some money on her. The chassis and gearbox is all sorted so I'm really after peoples ideas on what to do with the engine, and any experiances they can share with me to get the most for my money. I apologise if this goes on a bit but here is a complete list of what I have in mind so far.

Intake :- Standard airbox with panel filter

Boost return deletion mod

Charge cooler (as purchased from G60BV)

68mm Pulley on a stage 4 Charger

Standard throttle body, intake and exhaust manifold, SS exhaust with de-cat

RSR outlet

Head :- 40mm inlet 35mm exhaust port and polished Big valve head,

Red top injectors

Standard cam - would a vernier pulley help or are they only really useful on aftermarket cams?

Block :- 1.9 or 2.0 block - has anyone got a 2.0 block to run nicely, or is it going to be too lazy to bother with?

and what compression do people run/recommend?

J.E. forged pistons - would ARP rod bolts be needed or are standard ones fine for the job?

All of this will be run off of a SNS custom map.

Am I missing anything, or should I change something from my list?

Thanks for reading this and for any help you give, should be a stormer when it's all sorted 8)

Good choices there 8)

If you run a big valve head you really need a dif cam to get the most out of the larger valves and flow work, i run a Piper 285 and vernier on mine, and yes the vernier is only useful with diff cams, its still actually set on 0deg still on the pulley but used to be retarded 3deg but it now works best at 0deg.

For ease and cheapness i would go 1.9 not 2.0, run 16v 144mm rods and then you can get a better piston design, the whole set up will be a little rocket, revving freely and quickly if you get it all balanced and lightened unlike a 2.0 which will restrict the rev range and rev slower and cost loads more to do, obviously if your using the big valve head and cam you want it to rev higher to get the power out of it, you should be looking for a 7k rev limit but on a 68mm pulley it will be close, so make sure you look after the charger.

The cam will not lose that much bottom end torque especially if you use the vernier as that moves the torque around the rev range slightly, it will be a hardly noticeable difference to torque loss but way more top end pull and the capacity increase will give you slightly more low end pull anyway plus more capacity higher up to make those magic numbers.

If it were me i would be getting a custom map to make sure it is all running perfectly on your set up and not a generic map that might be slightly off.

A guess on cost well 2k to go 1.9, say 1k head work, 500 mapping, all as quick ball park figures then there will be stuff you forgot about like a larger intercooler etc, and if you did go 2.0 then the cost will rise again.

Standard bolts will be fine, i run 300bhp and more torque on standard, use a mk4 metal headgasket and my compression ratio is approx 8.7-1.

I think the red top injectors would be on their limit with that lot depending on the cam you choose to run, i think greys are slightly bigger, i ran greys on mine with a similar spec except the BBM charger and a standard fuel pressure reg which i still use now on the light green 440cc injectors.

Thanks for the reply junkie, great info there!

My thoughts with the cam was to go with a 268/276 if I changed from standard, my car is my daily driver so don't need anything too lairy.

Have read (I think from Henny) about chipwizards doing a top job with maps so I think the car will end up there.

Thanks for the info, any more is welcome

No worries matt, yes Chipwizards are meant to be up there with the best in the country, which also means they are hard to get a spot on the rollers to fit your timescale.

Is that the schrick cam split duration you would go for then, and the Piper is still not a lairy choice tbh.

yeah, the schrick seems to get alot of recommendations from people so was swaying toward that as a cam.

there is another ECU map writer on a VAG forum but i'm on my parents laptop so don't have my favourites folder to get the company name, but again, he has a lot of recommendations so will call him come the time.

Why can't this be easier!! :lol:

With the temps been higher as well get an oil cooler on top of the list.

Hows your brakes and suspension, your going to wear things out alot quicker as well, i know you say nothing too extreme as its a daily but once you start you wont stop, trust me i know, and look at herisites, fair enough it would have been simple if it were not for the headgasket etc but while your in there you may as well get other stuff done, works out a hell of a lot cheaper too.

Interesting stuff! I'm a Corrado newbie :oops: but I plan to get a G60 and then breathe on it a little. What I have in mind is a pulley and induction upgrade (c.190bhp??) then possibly going Nitrous Oxide to look for around 240bhp. Does this sound reasonable?

My last car was an Audi 90 quattro with a TSR Pack C head and Schrick 272 cam. It went well enough (roughly 160-170bhp)but I fancy something a bit more nimble and sporty. How well do Corrados handle high power outputs without 4WD? :shock:

You can make anything handle good without 4wd, just takes time and patience and money.

So far mine is ok with 300bhp and 340lb/ft :lol:

The car is on weitec coilovers and poly bushes and the brakes are likely to be black diamond/ebc combination. Oil cooler, charge cooler and clutch all being done at the same time, and when the gearbox gives up that'll be sorted with a peloquin diff and vr 1st and 2nd gears. Just need some ideas as to a good spec for the engine so I can order everything and get the ball rolling

Sounds like you have it under control then.

Just follow my link in my sig to get an idea of a good spec, basically i had that engine spec on the BBM charger then went turbo but essentially the block and head have not changed regardless of what forced induction was used, and i am still on the standard box after 3 years of high power, all seems ok still.

But the gear ratios are useless.

I'm currently in the middle of an engine build. I looked at EuroSpecSport but wanted to stick with cast pistons due to short journeys and it being a daily car. Any details on what you have chosen?

Did you choose the head from Eurospec as i am prob going to get 1 of those.

You stroking it as well to the 2.2?

I've gone for the 42mm inlet/35mm exhaust ported head (they don't polish their heads) and a 1940cc with JE forged pistons and all lightened and balanced and a 8.5:1 CR. Was offered the 2.0 but after a few emails with them decided I'd rather the revvy (is that a word?) style of the 1940cc. Now just got to get all the other bits together whilst it's on it's way here.... can't wait

I've gone for the 42mm inlet/35mm exhaust ported head (they don't polish their heads) and a 1940cc with JE forged pistons and all lightened and balanced and a 8.5:1 CR. Was offered the 2.0 but after a few emails with them decided I'd rather the revvy (is that a word?) style of the 1940cc. Now just got to get all the other bits together whilst it's on it's way here.... can't wait

1940cc? What bore and stroke is that then? Is that with a G60 block PG/1H?

Think its 83mm bore and a slight stroke of the crank.

I was going and hopefully am going for those valve sizes on mine too and yes revvy is the word.

It's the PG engine as far as I know, although it is a new unit I'm sure they will use the PG over the 1H. 83mm pistons for sure, but i'm not sure of the stroke, on Eurospecs web site it states that an 83mm bore and 114mm rods makes a 1960cc, but either way I know I'd prefer an engine that revs freely over the gains from a 2.0/2.2, I'm not after huge power, just a nice useable improvement for Nurburgring visits and general fun :D

I'm sure it won't be ready until the new year, but as soon as it is and is bedded in I'll get it RR'd and write a little report.

It's the PG engine as far as I know, although it is a new unit I'm sure they will use the PG over the 1H. 83mm pistons for sure, but i'm not sure of the stroke, on Eurospecs web site it states that an 83mm bore and 114mm rods makes a 1960cc, but either way I know I'd prefer an engine that revs freely over the gains from a 2.0/2.2, I'm not after huge power, just a nice useable improvement for Nurburgring visits and general fun :D

I'm sure it won't be ready until the new year, but as soon as it is and is bedded in I'll get it RR'd and write a little report.

***************THREAD RESURRECTION***********************

So what crank is going in this then 'cos 1960cc can only be made with a 92.8 mm crank and 82 mm bore pistons from eurospecsport! Sorry to keep asking but it's of particular interest to me as I have now finished my 92.8x83 mm 2008cc build. What block did you get? Was it a PG? Did you get one of their custom cast heads aswell?

It's been such a long time since i ordered the engine ( a year ) i'm not sure if i'll be completely accurate but i believe it's a 2.0 ABA crank with an 82.5 bore and a 92.8 stroke and 144mm con rods.

Head was as above, not sure if it was custom cast or a ported standard head to be honest.

does any of that make sense? I'm ok with the workings of an engine but all of this stuff goes above my head :confused4: :lol:

It's been such a long time since i ordered the engine ( a year ) i'm not sure if i'll be completely accurate but i believe it's a 2.0 ABA crank with an 82.5 bore and a 92.8 stroke and 144mm con rods.

Head was as above, not sure if it was custom cast or a ported standard head to be honest.

does any of that make sense? I'm ok with the workings of an engine but all of this stuff goes above my head :confused4: :lol:

No worries! :D Sounds like you'll have nice torque with that then, should do well at the top end of the rev range with the headwork also. Hope it goes smoothly for you from now on. You got yourself a 1984cc (2.0L) then. :D

Be sure to post some numbers when your done, I've still to have my head ported so my power dies earlier than it should. Taking a little break for a few months before the bank balance assault begins again.

Thanks :D the good thing about it taking a while to get here has meant i could afford to have my 'box rebuilt with a wavetrac diff, it's been like having it all on interest free credit :lol:

it's been a year and 3 months since driving my C, stuck with diesel vans, a knackered Mk11 Gti and a saab barge, i really really can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111one

I've been driving an Audi barge since christmas and it's really starting to bum me out! Trying to save a bit of cash you see! :? If your going from a standard engine to a 2l with a ported head it's going to feel a lot faster I'd imagine especially if you haven't driven anything as quick as a standard rado for over a year! :)