Sign in to follow this  
MattWilde

Big spec G60 build, ideas/experience help please

Hi Guys,

I have a G60 and a 1.8 16V Corrado. I recently bought a PG engine block of ebay, with 81mm bores.

My plan is to build a G60 unit for transplant. I have a few questions that hopefully you guys can help with.

1. How did your new set up work out. Were you happy with it?

2. Did you balance the engine? say the crank and flywheel and match the con-rods and pistons for mass?

3. When the re-bore was done did you get a final hone to finish the bores?

Thanks for any ideas or help.

Chris

DSC043381.jpg

Here is a pic of the block. I'll post a before and after picture of whenI received it and when I had finished cycling it through the de-ruster and jet spray.

Very happy with my outcome, def lighten and balance the bottom end it makes a huge difference to throttle response.

I don't know where you are based but Adrian at impulse developments does an excellent job. His company is Rochdale based.

http://www.impulsedevelopments.co.uk/

1. How did your new set up work out. Were you happy with it?

Mine is a little bit more of a custom engine but it worked out well I'm very happy with it, I should of had the head ported at the same time but with regard to the bottom end it's character has remained the same but smoother and with more torque.

2. Did you balance the engine? say the crank and flywheel and match the con-rods and pistons for mass?

Yes all parts were balanced but not lightened although the pistons and rods used were lighter than stock. Crank, flywheel, clutch pressure plate, pulleys and balance weight were all balanced individually and then as one unit iirc.

3. When the re-bore was done did you get a final hone to finish the bores?

Before new rings are fitted a block should always be honed to allow the new rings to bed in.

hth

Thanks for the help.

I had hoped to build the unit myself.... the only issue is I'm at a loss as to how I can achieve dynamic balancing by myself, therefore I think I would need to talk to impulse or someone like them.

Are they expensive?

Bottom end balance will cost you £150 or there abouts. I would say for the quality of work and time and effort they put in they're prices are reasonable.

IIRC i think it was something in that region too for mine maybe a little more cos i had my rods lightened too, the pistons been forged were within tolerance already. In my book 1 of the best things you can do to the engine, it does not mean its going to give loads of extra power but it does make it smoother running, better on/off the gas, as the whole moving mass is less it spins up and slows down easier so less work for the brakes to do, it just transforms an engine from feeling heavy front ended to really light and chuckable.

Ignore what people tell you about hills and it slowing down the lighter it gets, its what people think happens after playing Gran Turismo lol, its all not true, it will be better up a hill if it spins up quicker and freely, the only difference it will make is because there is less inertia/mass spinning and it slows down a lot quicker you have to keep your foot down for longer, not more but longer, as in motorway driving.

Forgot this exactly now but a certain weight removed, lets say for arguments sake 10KG in moving mass in the bottom end, will make the whole front end feel 100KG lighter hence feeling alot more chuckable.

Mine isn't ready yet but as soon as it's all done i'l report on in. If i get the time I'll type up a good article for the sprinter too. I have lightenend rods and the bottom end was balanced by Eurospec in the US. The flywheel has been lightened and balanced by Oselli engineering near Oxford, couldn't get the lot done together logistically but if it doesn't work together well i'll get the flywheel balanced to the crank another time.