Sign in to follow this  
yogiontour

Water pump belt in a VR6

What items run off of the water pump belt...? I have a water leak down that side of the engine (VR6) and want to get it sorted this weekend....Water is splashing off the pullleys but I have no clue what item its comming from...? Any ideas?

IIRC the belt runs round the crankshaft pulley, power steering pump, water pump, alternator, aircon (if you have it), and then just the belt tensioner.

If you have water splashing off the belt then im guessing its the water pump. Piece of piss to change and you can seal it well with lots of silicon when putting it back together.

The guide says I need to take the engine off its mounts to do that though....Doesn't sound like fun lol

I'll give it a go next time I have a free weekend :)

Yeah you need to raise the engine but thats easy. Just get a jack under the engine using the corner of the sump and a bit of wood on the end of the jack to spread the weight. And then remove the front and rear engine mount bolts (the front one sits on the front cross member and the rear is directly under the throttle body/air intake which is easier to access if you remove the airbox which will need removing anyway to get to the pump) and loosen the gearbox mount. Then simply jack up the engine which needs to go quite far, use the exhaust downpipe as a guide, just jack it up until the downpipe touches the bulkhead. The water pump should then be accessible from where the airbox would usually sit, simply undo the bolts (make sure you drain the coolant first though else it could get a bit messy :lol:) and slide it out and slide in a new one and as said use shed loads of silicon sealant round it and it wont leak again.

Yeah its not difficult i just did mine with the same symptoms.

Easy if you don't manage to round off the front engine mount bolt and have to take the whole front end apart to get to it like I did :(

I changed water pump (VR6) a few weeks ago, but sheared the rear engine mount bolt when replacing it and tightening up to specified torque, so had extra expense of £121.82 for garage to fix that.

VW say the bolts are "one use only" so I would prefer to replace rear engine mount and bolt at same time if I were doing it again.

Part no on my invoice is 1HO 992 262K for "bonded rubber mount (£65.14 incl VAT)

and N90 553 202 for double hex bolt (£1.16).

Others on forum got away with bolt problem, though. You will, too, if you are lucky, but I would always feel unhappy about a stressed bolt being replaced.