Sign in to follow this  
waynos

megasquirt help needed (NEW VIDEO ADDED!)

yup,thats what i'm goig to be setting mine for.6 degrees b4 tdc.

Good luck,I'm going to be embarking down this road very soon so you can be my trail blazer.

:wink:

I'm sure your almost there ,just keeping imagining that momment when it starts and you play the air guitar or do the moon walk or whatever you do in times of joy.

:)

NOTE TO MODS

Can we have a moonwalk avtar pls? 8)

p.s its not something silly like firing order is it?

No offense mate,but u know whats its like wen u are working on stuff like this and u 4get silly things.

cheers

ill double check ive got my leads in the right order 2moz! got a big list of things to try and sort, hopefully the weather holds up! when are you looking to put ms on yours? is it a 16v?

edit :just seen your sig , g60 i take it! theres a guy on vortex whos megasquirted his g60 - he has put up most of his settings including spark ,ve and afr tables so that might come in handy

ill double check ive got my leads in the right order 2moz! got a big list of things to try and sort, hopefully the weather holds up! when are you looking to put ms on yours? is it a 16v?

edit :just seen your sig , g60 i take it! theres a guy on vortex whos megasquirted his g60 - he has put up most of his settings including spark ,ve and afr tables so that might come in handy

very soon.

I'm doing my g60 engine initially.

Ive already spliced into my loom for my two switched 12 volts feeds.

Tomorrow I want to make up the engine loom..

Anyway,good luck with yours.

kool how come you are using two switched feeds?megasquirt only needs 1 and a permanent live. i used the fuel pump wire as its the only thing i could find that stayed live whilst craking

one off the fp relay and one off the main ecu relay as per that version 3 wiring diag.

This also mimics the standard wiring setup.So it just made sense. :)

My o2 sensor will be supplied from the fp relay. Megasquirt and my injectors will be powered off the main relay.

ah ok so your wiring everything direct. i used the relay board for mine and pretty much made up new looms for everything

Right today i did a bit of work on it. i took out plug number one and used my socket extension in the hole, i then turned the engine by hand until the extension bar met its peak. checked the marks on the flywheel and my marks were there (painted it with some tipex so i could see it with the timing strobe light) Then i thought sod it as all plug 1 is out i may aswell clean all the fuel and crap off it and do the same to the rest. All apart from plug 2 was covered in fuel, thought this was a bit odd so i had a look at the injector wiring.... Turns out that a wire had snapped off so that injector wasnt working full stop! So i resoldered every connector to be on the safe side. Thats now sorted.

Back to the timing - i then got my dad to trun the car over whilst i pointed the timing light at the marks on the flywheel. It was miles out so i gradually turned the dizzy until the mark i made with tippex lined up with the pointer on the gearbox casing.Tightened up the dizzy and made a mark on that just in case i ever move it again so i can get it back to 6deg btdc. Job Done.

now came firing up the car - still havent got it going but i got closer and i can now eliminate the timing as being one of the problems.my required fuel was set to 11 i think and the cranking pulswidth was 10.5 . same story , it wanted to start but just wouldnt catch! i kept increasing the pulsewidths and it got better and better but still no joy. Then i started to up the required fuel which seems to have made a difference but yet again it still didnt start. Was going to continue bumping up the fuel as i think thats what it needs but my starter motor made a funny noise when i tried again so i just packed up and called it a day for now.

I was wondering, is the fuel calculator on megatune accurate? i put in 1900 as my cc, 325 cc /min for injector flow rate ( cossie injectors) and 14.5 as the afr and it gives me a reguired fuel of 9.9 - this figure isnt high enough for me. As the car now has a turbo on it would this make any difference? as im pushing more air through (i know im only cranking at the moment) wouldnt that require a bit more fuel then it would do without a turbo?

ill post my logs up once ive renamed them all

log files - required fuel was at 10.5 i think in each one i bumped up the cranking pulswidths a litle bit

AFAIK the injector calculator is fine. It does look like your injectors are running pretty low down (ms wise).

What are your injector settings? Opening time? max PW etc etc

REQ fuel is used as a base for the fuel calcs in MegaSquirt, it'll change the way the settings in the fuel table are interpreted, so if you fit bigger injectors you can change the REQ_Fuel and the maps can stay pretty much the same as before.

Are the idle sites in your fuel map about 40%? Cos it looks like as soon as it starts to catch the fuel PW drops right down in the log. All the ones around full vacuum and idle speed need to be around that value or more, try increasing the idle sites until it catches. Can you see how it starts to catch more when you crack the throttle open, keep doing that it will start soon.

Check out my MS stuff for the VRT. This had 440cc injectors, idle PW hovered at about 1.8-2.0ms. So yours should be about 3 ish at idle I reckon.

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27844&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=105

Can you screen grab your VE table, warm up and after start enrichment tables. Just get them on the screen and press Alt+PrtScn then open Paint and do a Ctrl+C to paste the pictures then you should be able to upload them. Or send me your MSQ by email (I'll PM you my address).

What speed is engine run set to? Should be about 700-750 for your motor. This will keep the crank PW going until it really starts.

Sooooo clooooose Wayne, wish I could come and give you a hand? Which part of the country are you in?

Wayne,

I've sent you a new file and changed a few settings.

Not sure why but I couldn't see any numbers in the cranking pulse width table, so I put default MS numbers in here.

I've also changes the cranking speed to 500rpm, so that the crank pw stays active until the engine catches.

Give this a go and see how you get on. Fingers crossed.

Do you have your ignition table set to all 0. It may be that I don't have an ECU connected to thats why I can't see anything?

Dave

thanks very much for that dave will give that a go tommorow. if you give me 5 - 10 mins ill put up some screen shots of the ignition table and the crank pulse width table

here are the print screens

warmupwizard.jpg

sparktable.jpg

just had a look at the map you sent me. the min i opened it it said i had two warnigs written to the audit log. ive had this when ive accidentally opened the file uder the wrong code/project. mine is ms2 2.687 . In the cranking pulswidths all the values are 0 and the cranking rpm is at 300

Ahh, ok. I'll try and find that version, should make more sense.

Looking at your screens, you need some warmup numbers set -40 to 180% and use the fill tool to create a linear line for all the other points.

Increase the crank -40 PW to 12.5% and raise the cranking RPM limit to 500rpm.

Ignition table looks fine.

Give that a try.....

In the table editor, under tools, select curve generate. Use a linear and enter the lowest and highest table numbers, click us existing x and then generate. MS will work out all the ones in between.

right i tried it again with your settings dave and it ran on for a bit longer before cutting out.tried it again with some throttle and it ran for about 3 seconds befor cutting out. do you think i need to have a look at my afterstart enrichments? i also brought the injector pwm period from 90 down to 66 which helped also

i didnt get very far with the table editing, heres the screen print

tableedit.jpg

jeez its a big learning curve ! ive found out i may have the afterstart enrichments wrong. i currently have it set up to 60% additive enrichment and 75 ignition cycles - i thought this meant i get 60 % enrichment per 75 cycles... i was wrong. Did some more searching and found that the after the 75 cycles the enrichment degrades down to 0 so it looks like i need to increase this figure so the after start enrichment lasts longer

more progress - bumped the ignition cycles up to 250 from 75 in the afterstart enrichment

- put some figures in the warmup enrichment section ranging from 180 at - 40c down to 100 at 71c

- dropped the cranking pulswidth down to 8.7

has been the best start so far , it ran on for a bit longer - i thought it was going to run! but it packed out again

heres the log

Can you wind the idle up a bit mechanically? Just so you don't have to hold the throttle open.

Give it a bit more fuel in the idle bins 100kPa down to 0 with 43-45% just so you can get it started. You can sort this out when it's warmed up.

I'd adjust the warmup enrichment up a bit at a time until it starts properly you could also give it a bit more ignition timing but try one thing at a time so you see what the changes are.

Good work Wayne, almost almost working :)

i was thinking that about the throttle also, not sure there is an adjustment as i couldnt see a screw,ill have to look that up. ill also give the other things you said a try 2moro. when u say give it a bit more ignition timing do you mean increase the figures around idle in the ignition table?

Yes, increase the ignition timing a little at idle. When the engine is cold it needs a little more burn time so more advance is better. You could set this in cold start advance settings.

The tables your looking at the not the ones I meant, the ones from the Tables menu have a tools section when opened.

ok ill have look now. i couldnt see an idle screw on the throttle body but maybe there is an ajustment for the throttle flap.if i can get the throttle to stay open a bit should i recalibrate this in megatune so that the tp is 0?

thanks for all your help dave, wouldnt have got this far without you!

ok ill have look now. i couldnt see an idle screw on the throttle body but maybe there is an ajustment for the throttle flap.if i can get the throttle to stay open a bit should i recalibrate this in megatune so that the tp is 0?

thanks for all your help dave, wouldnt have got this far without you!

Yes, re-cal the throttle when you've adjusted it. You'll end up with a balance between throttle stop and aux air valve that give a nice idle all the way through warming up.